Temperature advice...

kstewart422

I would like your input on temp. fluctuations. I have read some other posts on temp, but didn't find an exact scenario. My tank 85gal has been holding steady at 78-79F. Last night we opened up the house and the temp "in the house" when I got up was 50F. The tank was at 75F.

I am using a 300w Fluval brand heater, and I would guess it had a hard time keeping up with the house dropping so low. During the winter I do keep the house about 65F.

Do I have cause for concern? Your thoughts are?

Thanks for your time,
Kenny

rmlevasseur

IMO they haven't invented a heater yet that can be trusted. They are all time bombs. 75 is within limits but anything lower than that is asking for trouble. I suggest you look into a controller and temp probe. Ac Jr.'s are relatively inexpensive, and you can often find them used. I can't imagine reefing w/o my controller. For $5 I also fashioned a homemade alarm that plugs into the controller. Whenever parameters fall out of whack that alarm can wake the whole house up! Its saved me twice this year - once on temp and once on a kalk overdose.

BobBursek

pumps and PH run all the time,heaters are on/off, usually when they fail it is on, the contacts arc electricity when going from on to off, what happens is at some time that arc welds the contacts together and it is in the on position over heating the tank. With a controller, you set the heaters about 2-3* above the controllers set point, the controller has a temp probe and controls the on/off of the heaters, since they are digital there is no arcing to turn on the heaters, I have 2 for 4 years on a controller and all is well. Friend have gone thru heaters in a year and with bad results!!!!! yes a controller cost a bit more but heater last forever on them and peace of mind and no lost LS!!!!!! It is cheaper in the long run!!!!!!!!!:snowski: :snowski: