Temp.

jesse_224

I have a 3 gal. pico running. It is stocked with shrooms, gsp, zoas, and xenia. With the lights off the temp. stays at 78 degrees after the lights come on it stays around 82 degrees. I underrstand that temp. swings are bad, but when should i start to worry? Is a 4 degree swing THAT bad?

michael_cb_125

Yes, but the corals you keep are a little more forgiveingthan others. I have an SPS tank and 2 degree swings make my corals mad. Try to get as little of a swing as possible, but for now 4 wont harm too much.

lcstorc

Try adding some fans that come on at the same time as the lights. This can help a lot with the temp though it does increase evaporation. A 4 degree swing is a bit much for many of the things we keep though I agree with Michael about what you have being more forgiving than some others.

kyle1284

Try adding some fans that come on at the same time as the lights. This can help a lot with the temp though it does increase evaporation. A 4 degree swing is a bit much for many of the things we keep though I agree with Michael about what you have being more forgiving than some others.

nailed it on the head...

jesse_224

Thanks for all the replys. I know a temp swing isnt good, was just wondering how bad 4 degrees was. I guess its time to fix it.

Witfull

temp swings are bad, but the real killer is speed of change. sudden changes are bad, but on reefs there are slow rises in temp as the sun rises, peeks and declines. this is most true in lagoons and shallow reefs.

moze229

I have a 3 gal. pico running. It is stocked with shrooms, gsp, zoas, and xenia. With the lights off the temp. stays at 78 degrees after the lights come on it stays around 82 degrees. I underrstand that temp. swings are bad, but when should i start to worry? Is a 4 degree swing THAT bad?

I have a 24 Aquapod and I have approximately the same temperature swing as you. I have seen no detrimental effects to the coral from this in 8 months in this setup. While 4 degrees is probably the most you would want to fluctuate, less would be better. I think a couple of degrees here and there is natural.