temp in my tank

rtsurf01

i have a 90 gallon tank but i cant get the temp down to 78 i think its the lighting i have 2 250 w metal halides and 2 110 w vho flourescents but i dont tihnk they heat it i tihnk it might be the halides but they sit a good 8 inches above the tank wasnt watchin the tank for a few days while my friend watched the tank and when i came back the temp was 90 is ti possible for the halides to heat it that much that quick? and if so any help anyone can give me would be good thanks

rtsurf01

yea heater is fine all pumps runnin fine jsut my two main pumps mag 1200's they feel warm but never had a temp problem with old tank and same pumps

billyr98

what is the ambient temp of the room? and how long has this tank been setup? Have you been through a summer before?

rtsurf01

ambient temp is 75 if that tanks been setup not long few weeks but before all same stuff was in 92 corner tank just switched everything to 90 rec and new lights and no summers before so...

billyr98

Could be the lights then... my MHs get hot... I run fans!!!! Try that first, next could be a chiller... or run no lights and see what happens

roseyb47

I understand that temperature changes can really effect the critters in my tank. When I turn my lights off....the temp drops 4 - 6 degrees before I turn them back on in the morning....is that enough to be effecting the things in my tank

billyr98

rtsurf01 said:
i live in jersey and a chiller sounds expensive ima try fans if that doesnt do it then ill have to right?

Where are you in NJ, thats where I am at.. maybe I can help

blue_eyes53813

Prob. the lights I have 3 fans blowing or moving the air around the top of the tank. Do you have glass over the tank?(sorry if I missed the info) Open the top of the tank as much as possible and get the air moving.

billyr98

blue_eyes53813 said:
Prob. the lights I have 3 fans blowing or moving the air around the top of the tank. Do you have glass over the tank?(sorry if I missed the info) Open the top of the tank as much as possible and get the air moving.

good point on the glass top.. remove that if possible

rtsurf01

no glass on top but im in galloway south jersey near atlantic city does anyone know any good places aournd here for the hobby???