Tank upgrade questions

GlassMunky

theres some guys here locally that have some similar units that im letting them test on their tanks of the same size, or bigger and see their results. we'll see.
Anyway, I got my MP40w ES yesterday. I got the battery backup too, but when i got home the power cord input was corroded and not safe, so i took it back and they are getting me a new one. I was happy, i got both new on sale for $500 :) The pump is now in my 29G on lagoon mode at only like 10-20% and its kickin

Just curious, what don't you like about the AI Sol fixtures? You can get the two AI Sol fixtures, and hardware, you need for only a little more than the price of the MH fixtures you have linked above. If you go that route it won't be much different than purchasing better LEDs in the future but you are spending less on electricity and bulbs in the meantime. :dunno: That would be my advise, but the all of the MH fixtures you've thought about look awesome too :thumbup:

GlassMunky

I'm just still not 100% on keeping high light demand animals in ALL areas of a tank that size with those LED's yet..... ive seen nice tanks with them but im still not FULLY sold. I'm really thinking of getting some mid-price fixture for just the first year since i AM positie that in that year those super expensive LED fixtures like the Sol and radion will be obsolete...... so just to save on energy costs i may go that route.......

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
So, any update on your lighting option? The new "vega" is coming out soon for AI (previously known as the phoenix) and i'm wondering if that will drop the price of the SOL Blues.

jtw414

I use a G3 on my 120 and its awesome. I only got it b/c someone local sold it for $50, but boy was I suprised when I saw what it could do. Also, I ran into the same problem as you when I upgraded my sump from a 20g to a 40g. I just replaced the nails with small screws on the brace and used a rubber mallot to tap it out. I have seen others cut out a section from the end of the stand between the corner posts big enough for the sump to slid through. Then they just installed a cabinet door to cover the opening. Just some ideas if you're still worried about the sump being trapped. One last thought. I just switched from dosing by hand to using a dosing pump. Man are things better! Everything is much more stable and I don't have to worry about pH and Ca levels when I go out of town. Can't wait to see you get it all put together.