Tank position advice needed - sunlight

imaccat

Hi,

I have just joined Reef Sanctuary so hello everybody.

I am about to purchase a RSM 250 and I am in need of some advice regarding the position of it. The best place for viewing it is in my conservatory. I know it shouldn't be put in direct sunlight, the roof of the conservatory is opaque rather than clear glass, the tank will have a wall behind it, the tank will face North East, the sunlight is defused by the opaque roof, i.e. no clear shadows are cast, but still bright. So I'm not sure if this is classed as 'direct sunlight', but is very bright. Will I have a problem?

Can anybody offer any advice - would this be a stupid thing to do? Cos i don't want to have to move it!

PS I will have a chiller on the RSM so the additional heat in the conservatory shouldn't be a problem

Iain

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
IMHO at some point with "Sunlight" (indirect will do the same thing.. bouncing off a light colored wall etc) if you have ANY excess nutrients you will have an algae bloom.

Some people have "Naturally Lit" tanks and never experience any algae issues and some people (like myself) have had issues with in-direct sunlight. I don't think I'd press my luck but YMMV :)

kospaintball

As long as you keep your nutrients low you should be fine... it may provide you with that extra challenge to keep you in the game... you never know.

imaccat

Thanks For all your advice, I think I will place the tank in the conservatory and with luck and good management be ok.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
1055.gif

All the Best !