Tank Location

Can you put a marine tank by a North facing window, no sunshine comes through the windows but obviously gets a lot of light?

Steve L

You still may get more algae growth than a tank with only artificial lighting, but not nearly as bad as if there were direct sunlight hitting the tank. I had a quarantine tank set up for a couple years that got about 45 minutes of filtered sunlight in the mornings and I was always fighting algae in it.

Oxylebius

I get seasonal direct light hitting my tank, spring and fall, the corals always grow faster during this time. A little more algae grows on the glass, but nothing a scraper can't take off.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I was getting morning sunlight on my tank from a patio double door. I installed drapes to close to prevent it because that end of my tank was getting spots of algae growth. Plus it messed with my light cycle shining in before my LED tank sunrise started.
If you can put up curtains (just in case you find it to be a problem) I wouldn't consider it to be an issue at all.

Thanks all!

I have gone and done it, started to set up tank about 2 feet away from North facing patio doors.

I will start a new tank thread shortly and will see what impact the light has over the forthcoming weeks. I must say I am more than a little excited with new tank and the thought of corals and marine fish.

I purchased a Fluvel sea reef M90, L135.

Snid

Just a quick plug of possible advise... Depending on where you live, being only 2 feet away from the patio doors, the tank could be affected by weather in extreme situations. For example, last winter had some really extreme lows all around the States. My heater chose to die on the lowest temperature night of the year (Yay me!) which sent me to the store in a panic to get additional space heaters. At least my wife and I got to cuddle real close together for a night. ;) Anyways, the point is you may want to prepare yourself for some extreme situations before you risk losing hundreds or thousands of dollars just in case.

Just a quick plug of possible advise... Depending on where you live, being only 2 feet away from the patio doors, the tank could be affected by weather in extreme situations. For example, last winter had some really extreme lows all around the States. My heater chose to die on the lowest temperature night of the year (Yay me!) which sent me to the store in a panic to get additional space heaters. At least my wife and I got to cuddle real close together for a night. ;) Anyways, the point is you may want to prepare yourself for some extreme situations before you risk losing hundreds or thousands of dollars just in case.

A good point.

Was talking today about getting a digital thermometer so that I can monitor closely. If heating goes we have spare radiators both electric and oil. If heater on tank goes I have at least 4 LFS's I can get to so I should be alright.

With regards to algae there are lots of different views and I think the reality is it depends on conditions in your house. I will wait and see, can move if necessary although a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Snid

If heater on tank goes I have at least 4 LFS's I can get to so I should be alright.

I keep two heaters in my Display Tank, not in the Sump/Refugium. One is dialed in at a couple degrees lower. This way if one heater dies, the other kicks in and keeps things safe. I've seen posts from people who have lost livestock from just one night of no heat in their DTs before. The two heater method covers that, unless the electric goes out of course. ;)

A good point.

Was talking today about getting a digital thermometer so that I can monitor closely. If heating goes we have spare radiators both electric and oil. If heater on tank goes I have at least 4 LFS's I can get to so I should be alright.

With regards to algae there are lots of different views and I think the reality is it depends on conditions in your house. I will wait and see, can move if necessary although a pain.

Snid

Deja Vu! There's a glitch in the system. We need to call Morpheus now and get out of the Matrix!!!

A good point.

I recommend keeping a glass thermometer in addition to the digital. If you're planning on a $10 pet shop special, or something of the like, they aren't super reliable and they return false readings as the battery dies. If you have a temperature probe on a reef controller that's a different story but the standalone digital meters can be trouble. For $5 it's a good idea to always have a backup. I just keep one floating in my sump. Also I have a heater in my sump and a second in my DT. Mine has a false back so you don't see it, but you could run two in your sump otherwise. Heaters fail and it's a good idea to run a backup

alfaman

You still may get more algae growth than a tank with only artificial lighting, but not nearly as bad as if there were direct sunlight hitting the tank. I had a quarantine tank set up for a couple years that got about 45 minutes of filtered sunlight in the mornings and I was always fighting algae in it.

I have velux windows in the kitchen and bi folds doors, ie lots of light and I was getting sun on the tank through the velux, in the corner where the sun hit the tank it's was covered.

Snid

you could run two in your sump otherwise. Heaters fail and it's a good idea to run a backup

I like both in my DT because if the Sump Pump ever fails, then the heaters don't heat the water in the DT. Pumps aren't invincible. Run two in DT, then you have several bases covered. Then you just need to convince Mother Nature to never knock out your power and stay on top of that electric bill. ;)

What's that? Back-up Generator? Right on... Now, if you get an Auto Back-up Generator you'd be in awesome shape! Boo-yah!

Choff

Id still rather keep the heaters and their ugly wires in the sump. :)

That's just how I roll tho

...stupid auto correct

I keep two heaters in my Display Tank, not in the Sump/Refugium. One is dialed in at a couple degrees lower. This way if one heater dies, the other kicks in and keeps things safe. I've seen posts from people who have lost livestock from just one night of no heat in their DTs before. The two heater method covers that, unless the electric goes out of course. ;)

Just ordered another heater, for a small amount of money a large piece of insurance.

Will keep both in sump area, which is @ back of tank, just personal preference.

Snid

I get the wire thing... I keep mine hidden behind a mountain of LR. I wish I could hide my Power Heads more. And my Overflow Box. I've been tempted to get some Green Star Polyps and mount them on the outside of the Overflow Box. I've seen others do that with success. As for the Power Heads... I've been tempted to try and find giant barnacle shells and some how cut them up and reassemble them around the Power Heads so it looks like I just have a couple of barnacle shells hanging around. I know that I'm redoing things like that with my next tank, probably not until I move (who knows when that will be?). ;)

I get the wire thing... I keep mine hidden behind a mountain of LR. I wish I could hide my Power Heads more. And my Overflow Box. I've been tempted to get some Green Star Polyps and mount them on the outside of the Overflow Box. I've seen others do that with success. As for the Power Heads... I've been tempted to try and find giant barnacle shells and some how cut them up and reassemble them around the Power Heads so it looks like I just have a couple of barnacle shells hanging around. I know that I'm redoing things like that with my next tank, probably not until I move (who knows when that will be?). ;)

In a short period of time I have learnt it's a trade off between look and practical application and a real challenge. I have a power head that I am trying to hide behind LR which I think will work whilst keeping flow strong but would luv to buy another but cannot hide it. i have Decided to keep with 1 and wait and see, a real dilemma!