Tank leveling suguestions????

Helo everyone,
Yesterday i brought home my new 120g (48x24x24) tank! yay!, but when i took a level to it i found that it was leaning forward almost 1", then i took the level to the floor and noticed that it was the floor that was unlevel. I live in a 2nd story condo built in 1989, and i recentally replaced my carpet with ceramic tile. the subfloor is concrete and other than that i dont know much else about how the floor is constructed.
But my question is how should i level the tank? I basically need a 48" wedge, i was thinking about trying to plane out a 1" plywood board but im not sure my woodworking skills are up to par for such a job... Im tyring to still use something with a large foorprint so that the weight of the tank will be distributed evenly. Any suguestions? Thanks everyone!,
-steve

SaltyQueen

I would make a big wedge, that runs the entire length of the tank so the weight is distributed evenly. If you're not handy yourself, sometimes places like Lowe's or Home Depot will make wood cuts for you for an extra fee.

sorcerer

Court Computer Wiz
SaltyQueen is pointing you in the right direction, ideally a leveling platform that the stand would be placed on would be the best idea to fix without leveling the floor itself. This would insure that the weight will be distributed across the entire base. You should also double check and make sure that the tank will be setting across (perpendicular to) the floor joists. If the floor is not level now I would also check it to make sure that the joists are not sagging already. JMO.

Witfull

its a cement condo floor so weight isnt a problem i remember this from the site site that cannot be named. i would also reccommend a full wedge,,,i a buttload of shims inside and out of the stand.

sorcerer

Court Computer Wiz
Wit,
In the post the subfloor is concrete and it is a second story, usually this means concrete backerboard was used for the subfloor over joists, weight is still an issue if this is the case. If it is actually a cement reinforced second floor, then weight shouldn.t be an issue nor if it is a ground floor concrete slab. Just haven't seen many condo 2nd floors done in rebar concrete...IME.

CAT

I always level the stand. If the stand is level then the tank will be level. I just use wooden wedges between the floor and the bottom of the stand until everything is snug and level. Also, I check the level as I fill the tank and hammer the wedges in further if needed - sometimes the weight of the water will move things a bit.

Good luck

Originally posted by sorcerer
Wit,
In the post the subfloor is concrete and it is a second story, usually this means concrete backerboard was used for the subfloor over joists, weight is still an issue if this is the case. If it is actually a cement reinforced second floor, then weight shouldn.t be an issue nor if it is a ground floor concrete slab. Just haven't seen many condo 2nd floors done in rebar concrete...IME.

I layed the tile myself and the only gaps in the conrete i could see were at the thresholds of the doors there would be a piece of wood seperating the concrete in each room, and it looked like it was at least a couple inches thick down the edge???? not sure if that means anything to anyone?
Thanks!
-steve

sorcerer

Court Computer Wiz
Steve,
With the slab as your describe you shouldn't have any problems with weight and I think going with the full wedge should do the trick. Good luck and happy reefing!

wooddood

the wood dude
if it the second floor i dont think its solid concrete,probally gypcrete,a product thats ony a couple of inches thick that they pour over the wooden floor.i've seen this done on a apartment complex i worked on in ky a few years back.might try some 3/4 styrofoam under it i think the weight of the tank and the water will level you out pretty close.

Pro_builder

It is called Gypcreet or Lieghtweight creet. I would get some Cedar Shims from HD or Lowes and set the stand to a level position starting at the end that needs to be the highest. Then once you get the stand leveled, fill in the rest of the stand with shims so that you are distribubing the wieght evenly.
Leightwieght creet isn't perfectly smooth, it is a self leveling product when it is installed. so there can be inperfections in it.
This way you know that you are getting a good set on the creet.

Originally posted by wooddood
if it the second floor i dont think its solid concrete,probally gypcrete,a product thats ony a couple of inches thick that they pour over the wooden floor.i've seen this done on a apartment complex i worked on in ky a few years back.might try some 3/4 styrofoam under it i think the weight of the tank and the water will level you out pretty close. [/QUOTE

If this is the case then, is weight going to be more or less of a concern that would be on a regular wood floor???? I havent had a contractor on engineer come look at my floor, but so far it seems to be the concensus that the weight is going to be ok

wooddood

the wood dude
sincity,personally i dont feel you have to be concerned with the weight issue.since your building was built in 1989 it should be fine.if your still concerned i would contact the owner or builder and see what they have to say.if you could put the tank on an outside wall even better,and i would not be concerned at all.

Cougra

Are you putting the tank up right in front of a window? If so, you may wish to reconsider the placement of the tank. The light from the window (even through blinds) may cause problems with algae growth in the tank, and the extra heat fro mthe light may aslo create problems keeping the temperature in the tank steady.

wooddood

the wood dude
ok i see by the pic that its on an outside wall, you should be fine then thats a load bearing wall.as far as the window light could be an issue so i would keep the blinds closed.mine is next to a window too and i just keep the blinds closed.my personal opinion is you'll be fine.what are you waiting for fill it up.lol.

Thanks everyone,... I am actually having some curtians made to cover up the window, and i am planning on making the back of the tank black anywayz. And the window faces north and is partially shaded by a large pine tree so i dont think excessive heat and/or light should be a problem. :)

Cougra

Cool Sincityreefer! Looks like it's going to be a nice tank . I can't wait for photos of it once you start filling the tank!

Hey man,
I finally got a hold of the Karn and he said that we could use his 100' of hose to fill your tank when the time comes. is the run from the parking lot to your tank 175 feet or less, that is all the hose i can find. Call or e-mail me.

Jeepers,
Cool, he is a tough man to track down at times. IM not surehow long the run is, it seemd like a whole heck of alot farther than 175 when i was lugging the tank inside. ;) First things first tho, i got to get her level before any water finds its way in there. :) As soon as school is over this semester (only 1 more week!!!) ill have much more time to dial in the new setup. i cant wait.! ;)