tank & Equip for trade. any opinions on this?

wazzifam

It this is posted in the wrong place im sorry, but I would like some help. I was put in touch with this person who has a 90 gallon set up for trade. He wants a macaw, I have one that needs a good home. but im wondering if the equip. he has is good or bad. This is what he said.

"Ok we have a megaflow model 4 filter as well as a sealife filter system.We have maybe two or three coral ornaments,some starfish ornaments,submersible water heater,about 40-50 pounds of sand .I will also have a few live rocks for you to start your tank out with."

He mentioned lights and im checking that out now. any thoughts please? Im gonna ask for pics. I was thinking that if the equip. is good enough, I could use it in the 150 gal. Or I scrap the 150 and use the 90. OPINIONS NEEDED more info being asked for.

PEMfish

You'll need new filtration including a skimmer. Them mega flow is not a filter, its an over flow.

wazzifam

You'll need new filtration including a skimmer. Them mega flow is not a filter, its an over flow.

ahhh see I knew I needed help from here. Id be the first to jump in without knowing but assuming.....I have written him back but havn't received a reply yet.

Hmmph assume??? got me somewhere before.... where was it:whip:

peepa

What do you mean by " coral ornaments".Fake?
You could prbably buy that stuff on this site or other reef sites for 2-300$,don't know much about parrots but I'm pretty sure a Macaw is a lot more valuable. JMO

wazzifam

What do you mean by " coral ornaments".Fake?
You could prbably buy that stuff on this site or other reef sites for 2-300$,don't know much about parrots but I'm pretty sure a Macaw is a lot more valuable. JMO

The parrot has value upwards of 600.00, thats why I wanted to have an idea of what everyone is thinking.

I just got an email back from him

"Well off the top of my head I dont know what kind of light fixture it is but its in the storage right now.I can get back to you on that.There are also some other equipment that comes with it but what I sent you was the main pieces.All the rest are just for decorations?Would you like for me to empty the sand out of the tank or would you like it with the tank?"

I asked him for the real details and am waiting on the info. maybe some pics would be good.
using alot of caution here. trying to go slow and have all details!!

lcstorc

I certainly wouldn't take down the 150 to trade it for a 90. You could maybe use the 90 as a sump or something. I would only do it if you are truly looking for a home for the bird.
Just curious. What kind of macaw. I have a Miligold. Wonderful but loud animals.

BigJay

Definetly need the make of the tank, to see its condition and what type of stand it has. Some 90g 's are relatively cheap. Much cheaper then a parrot. I've seen lots of used set ups that are basic ,sell on craigslist in the 200-300 dollar range. Which I think is way too much since your going to have to scrap pretty much everything.
If you look at my 90g Oceanic reef ready ,I paid $600 for it off craigslist.It was less then 1 year old and less then 8 months of use. That was a $1300 tank, a sump, a skimmer, a phosban reactor, koralia 4 power head, 2 return pumps, a 260w coralife light and random other trinkets like supplements,magnetic cleaner and nets. That should be about what I'd expect you to get for your bird. Since your bartering that might give or take a 100 or two but I'd hold out for the perfect tank for you where your not making comprimises.
Its surprising and a bit annoying to see how little people know about thier salt water tanks. But I wouldn't jump into it without knowing the exact details and just from the total lack of knowledge from the seller I'd assume its a nothing special tank. Thats a total assumption though.

wazzifam

I certainly wouldn't take down the 150 to trade it for a 90. You could maybe use the 90 as a sump or something. I would only do it if you are truly looking for a home for the bird.
Just curious. What kind of macaw. I have a Miligold. Wonderful but loud animals.

Lynne ive been sorta looking for a home for him for a while now. He is a very cool Blue & Gold. HUGE!!! originally came from hawaii. I just dont have the time for him that he deserves. I have quite a few birds. Ive been rescuing for quite a few years now. but with times getting tougher and me getting older (did I admit that), I am trying to find the ones that are of breeding stock, partners to continue their lives. and downsize what I have here. I cant even leave town for a day at this point because noone would come here to feed while I was gone.

problem is just like with the tank... can never get enough, but gotta say enough is enough at some point. Hubbys over the bird thing.... LOL I will never be im sure.

wazzifam

yea I tend to agree with ya on nothin special. at least from what I can see already, I dont just turn birds over to anyone anyway, I didnt like some ot the other things that were said in the email pertaining to the bird. I just didnt post that part here because it didnt pertain. If he would have had a nice impressive list of stuff then maybe I would dig deeper. I want my 150 anyway.
Actully all I really want is for this tank the existing 55 to straighten its azz out!!:chomp:

Definetly need the make of the tank, to see its condition and what type of stand it has. Some 90g 's are relatively cheap. Much cheaper then a parrot. I've seen lots of used set ups that are basic ,sell on craigslist in the 200-300 dollar range. Which I think is way too much since your going to have to scrap pretty much everything.
If you look at my 90g Oceanic reef ready ,I paid $600 for it off craigslist.It was less then 1 year old and less then 8 months of use. That was a $1300 tank, a sump, a skimmer, a phosban reactor, koralia 4 power head, 2 return pumps, a 260w coralife light and random other trinkets like supplements,magnetic cleaner and nets. That should be about what I'd expect you to get for your bird. Since your bartering that might give or take a 100 or two but I'd hold out for the perfect tank for you where your not making comprimises.
Its surprising and a bit annoying to see how little people know about thier salt water tanks. But I wouldn't jump into it without knowing the exact details and just from the total lack of knowledge from the seller I'd assume its a nothing special tank. Thats a total assumption though.

naperenterprise

Wow a Macaw for $600 bucks... Guess thats a florida thing. My Sunday Conure was close to 6 hundred. Up here in PA a Blue and Gold macaw goes for around $1500 - $2000 bucks...

I would love to have a macaw, very inteligent animals, and they live for a very long time. I think around 95 years or so...

IMO the guy selling or tradeing the 90 is clueless... I would guess its just a standard light fixture, and you should hold out for something bigger and better.

If you want to find your macaw a good home you should look into adopting him/her out, set some sort of fee so the new care provider takes the adoption seriously... Who ever takes your bird should be prepared to care for it for a very long time.

I may have to move back to Philadelphia, and I'm looking for a good home for my Conure, so I know how difficult it is to find that perfect home...

Good luck with everything.