Tangs

Bigpapa

Hello, I currently have a 110 with a single yellow tang(appx 3") and some other smaller fish. I really wanted to add a purple tang but have seen alot of info about them being too aggressive towards other tangs. Someone local is selling a couple of tangs-1 purple and 1 yellow that are about 4" each and currently reside together without incendent. Would it be ok to add these two to my current tank? I guess I figure that if it works out with the two he has it might be less of a risk adding to my current yellow...

Any input would be great!!!

Rob

You can add those two new tangs if they are already good with one another and in the same tank. however, you will need to take out YOUR tang from your tank before adding the two new ones. First off, they will most likely gang up on your original yellow, and second, you never want 2 yellow tangs. Its 1, 3, or a larger group for yellows, or else fights will happen. I hope this helped. Best of luck!

dashielle89

I would say it probably isn't the best idea. 110 gallons is a bit small for 2 of those tangs, definitely too small for 3. Your current tang will most likely cause problems, so you would want to get rid of him before purchasing the other 2. Also, it isn't guaranteed that the other 2 will continue to get along especially since the tank is smaller. You could try it, but know that you might have to take one out later if they start fighting. Then again for some people it has worked, depends on the fish. You would have better chances if you upgraded, then you could try introducing all 3 at once to the new larger tank (something like 200, purple tangs get pretty big, it might even be cramped alone in the 110).

foxsavage

I had a purple tang that was aggressive with every fish and would not allow any new fish to be added without bullying them relentlessly. I think the purple is one of the more aggressive ones.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
My purple tang is 6" long n the biggest wimp in the tank.

Matt's DROIDX using Forum Runner since idiots hacked thru tapatalk.

chelseagrin

if you were adding them both at the same time the purple and yellow it would be fine, but adding a purple and ayellow to a tank with a yellow is a recipe for disaster. your yellow will get picked on till hes close to death.

steved13

PREMIUM
I have a puple and a yellow, they tail flap quite a bit but nothing ever to serious. Once in awhile I'll see a damged tail or dorsal fin, but it's healed within a day or 2. I'd have to agree I wouldn't try 3 in a 110. I don't think I'd try 3 in my 250, and if I had it to do over I would only have 1. With 2 I think I'm over feeding to make sure they don't get more agressive with each other. And from the way my yellow tang flips out when he sees his reflection, I can believe 2 of them might be a huge problem.

Bigpapa

Thanks for all the advice and input! It is pretty much what I thought. I wasnt worried about the tank size for when they get larger as I am upgrading this year coming up. It was just a good deal and I didn't know if I could push up the aquisition portion until I move forward with the tank.