Tang ID please

WuTanMang

someone gave me this guy he's about 4-5 inches long

Anyone know what he is? Person said he was expensive.

RS_photos

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yeah gonna need SOME type of pic or a LOT more description to make even a wild guess.

WuTanMang

Yeah I really did i guess...lol I've only had him for a few days so I'm not out of the woods yet. Seems to be getting beat up by my Sailfin a bit but at least he's eating. Thanks

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
How long has the Sailfin been in the tank? Remember if it's established in there it will consider the whole tank "his territory" and could refuse to accept another tang period. . .

lcstorc

That tail looks pretty chewed up.
I would try re-arranging the scape to hopefully break up the sailfin's territory.

Frankie

RS STAFF
They are also called on occasion "Lollipop Tangs" :D
I use to have one. Very cool fish.
Yours can be of several Acanthurus species. I have not seen one with the blue strip across the top yet and might be just a marking from it's juvenile stage.
My first guess would be the common Powder Brown 'Acanthurus japonicus'
The white tail also resembles the Goldrim Tang 'Acanthurus nigricans'
Either way, it is a nice fish. I would not worry to much about the tail yet. Eventually it will take over the tank as the new terrorist ;)

WuTanMang

Sailfin has been in the tank 6 months, moved some rocks around that seemed to help. With 6 other large Tangs I think they are all staying readily confused and accepting of each other now. Thanks for the landscape change advice I think that's what did it....