Take over someones tank or start from scratch?

Hutchy007

Basically, many moons ago i dabbled a little bit in marine tanks. However, now i would class myself as an idiot and need instructing on everything, in order to minimise my failures.
So i've set my heart on the 250, but there's lots of second hand ones that are full systems, complete with everything. Now, i have a dilemma, because im convinced i will kill off the contents with some dumbass move.
So do i purely avoid these full system tanks and go for tank only, or try to fluke it and not kill everything off in the tank once i get it?
Im just wondering if theres anyone else with similar experiences?
Problem being, is that ive missed out on some really beautiful tanks, because i didnt want to be responsible for the demise of its inhabitants.... am i being daft???? :confused:

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
We are hear to help!!!! I promise!! Ask questions and we'll do our best to help you succeed!! But you have to ask lots of questions!

Elizabeth94

I am a noob when it comes to saltwater but in my opinion I would start new. That way you know what you are getting into. You can pick all of your equipment, and research before you buy things. However, I feel that systems that have everything included would be the least expensive method if you are worried about cost. I have heard of people having tank crashes and getting out of the hobby. You even said you would need instructing on everything so why not start new and learn the process instead of diving into an established system? I am not sure what others think but that is my opinion and you should of course do what you want lol Good luck either way.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
starting fresh is lots of fun... and would be my 1st choice, but husbandry skills can be learned, the basics are water changes...

you can have success either way imo - many tanks being sold do have some problems... would be more of my concern

like bad algae, an invasive type of coral, sand that was not the best choice, stuff you may have to deal with... but could

see what others think :) and good luck

remember many new to sw started with an aio RSM & have had brilliant success - I did :dance:

I think AIO (All In One) tanks are great for the beginner. I had mine for 15 months, but once you gain experience, you see the AIO systems have limits. I think an RSM 130/250 are great starter tanks, see if you really enjoy the hobby and learn as you go. The the keys is being patient!

Lipman

I agree with above but the part I love about my 250 is all the upgrades I can add along the way. This allows you to advance when you feel comfortable.

Regardless of what you get though just enjoy the hobby :)

clairebear

Hi Hutchy,

I bought a second hand fully stocked tank about 4 months ago. I used a fish store to help me move it and the livestock. I had a couple of losses, one flame angel (almost dead in the moving bag) and one anemone (and the other one is on it's last legs now :( ) but they were not in great shape to start with. I think if you're moving a tank a significant distance, there is always a chance of losses.

I think you can definitely make it work though, do heaps and heaps of research, make a plan, make sure you have all the basics (test kits, refractometer, salt) and water change water ready in case of ammonia spike (I also had Prime ready and dosed Seachem Stability).

Downside is you cant choose exactly what you want. You are stuck with the rocks, unless you can cure more in another way. And it was hard for me to rock scape when I was pressed for time and wanted to get the fish in the tank. My tank came with a fair bit of green hair algae, which I am still battling (and I think I made worse because I didn't know exactly what I was doing) so be aware that you might inherit problems.

Also, the stress when things are happening and you don't know what they mean can be high - but this forum can help out with that.

Upside is of course the cost (that's why I did it, to get a 250 instead of a 130), and that your tank is up and running almost immediately. I do sometimes think about what I will do one day when I get a brand new tank and start from scratch (but I think a lot of people new to the hobby will think like this no matter where they start, because there is so much to learn!) But I :heart: my tank and it's inhabitants.

Whichever way you go, as long as you ask lots of questions, I'm sure it will work out :yup:

Oxylebius

So i've set my heart on the 250, but there's lots of second hand ones that are full systems, complete with everything. Now, i have a dilemma, because im convinced i will kill off the contents with some dumbass move.
So do i purely avoid these full system tanks and go for tank only, or try to fluke it and not kill everything off in the tank once i get it?
Im just wondering if theres anyone else with similar experiences?
Problem being, is that ive missed out on some really beautiful tanks, because i didnt want to be responsible for the demise of its inhabitants.... am i being daft???? :confused:

A few thoughts...

First, I never go for used tanks for two reasons.
The first is that you don't know what was in the tank previously, you never know if someone used a copper based medication or some other hazardous chemical, bleach, etc. And some used tanks held reptiles and other critters, not fish. Some of these chemicals etch into the glass. There is a reason why it is not advisable to drink out of glassware used in chemistry labs, even if clean, chemicals seep into glass.
The second reason is that used/older tanks may also have seal issues. The seals only last so long and you would have to inspect it very closely over the time you have it to make sure the seals stay good. You may even have to replace the seals yourself (if you are a diy person, no problem).

I'm also not clear on what you are asking, are you asking if you should buy a tank that is already full of critters also? That someone else will create for you? The best way to really learn to take care of your tank is to start from scratch, slowly read and learn about maintenance and critter care, and slowly buy and build your tank ecosystem. You can then watch it grow and mature and take pride in what you created. This also give you investment incentive to keep it going and make the best home for your critters b/c you gave so much time to creating it.

As for tanks (new or used) that come w/all the equipment that it needs to plug and play. Some are better then others and it comes down to how much $$ and effort you want to put into them. Many folks who buy these tank end up making changes to them or buy additional equipment to enhance their tank(s).

Oxylebius

BTW - I started in saltwater back in the 90s. DIY system. Was always messing w/it, trying to improve it. I finally picked up AIO system a couple of years ago b/c I was tired of DIY and I really don't have the time. I'm down from three tanks to one AIO and have so much more time!!!! I did buy additional equipment the first 6 months and build the system up a bit, but now I can just sit back and watch everything grow (and start reproducing!).

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Oxylebius has given some good advice on second hand tanks and the potential problems that one can face in the purchase of a second hand tank. That being said if the tank if brimming with healthy happy life when you go to look at it then that's a good sign of a well kept tank and a good buy so keep that sort of thing in mind when looking at 2nd hand tanks :)

On the other front Claire is also right in saying that there will be things that won't survive the move, you will have a small maybe large cycle due to the disturbance of the tank and that you are stuck with what the previous owner has which can limit your choices on what you can add somewhat.

If money wasn't too much of an issue try and find a new tank on sale, the 250's are great because they do not necessarily need any upgrades to start with so you can buy the tank and not have to worry about extra purchases until you have the money or are comfortable enough to do so :) Buying a new tank will also mean that it is completely yours and you can put whatever you wish in (within reason lol) and have your own taste to it, it's also a great experience to watch and learn about how your tank goes from a glass box to a living and hopefully thriving ecosystem :) You'll get a much better understanding and appreciation of your reef if you build it and care for it from the beginning :) It may have its bumps starting from scratch but we're all here to help and if you ever have any questions what-so-ever then ask away! There are no stupid questions in this hobby as our aquatic friends rely on us so even the most obvious seeming question can help save lives :)

All that being said if you'd rather go down the second hand road and save some money I'd try and find a tank that isn't set up or the person is not selling all the inhabitants with it because if they've made mistakes along the way, you may be left with trying to clean those mistakes up. Just my 10 cents worth :) Looking forward to seeing you get a new tank and join the 250 club :D

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Starting off fresh will give you a chance to learn things as you go along that you'll never encounter if you pick up an established tank. The learning stages will help make you a more experience reefer which in turn, will make you think logically on a solution when things go wrong :) Just my 2 cents.

Hutchy007

Thanks for the input guys.
I have been leaning towards getting a new tank, but seeing some of the beautiful fit and healthy tanks that are less than half the cost of a new tank alone, is really tempting me. :)
I guess ill just have to bide my time and then pick up something that just feels right, be it old or new.

Many Thanks