T5 question

forestal

Hi all, i got a deal on a t5 setup for 1/3 the cost and am anxious to set it up but it is not build for aquaria and i am unsure if the endcaps are water resistant. This makes me think i should put glass over the tank to limit splashing. Do you think this will limit the strength of the light much? I would rather do this than replace the endcaps as i would end up screwing up. I am however concerned with covering the tank keeping the tank cool enough in the summer...we'll see i guess

I am lighting my 120, and when i put the lights up I will be installing a 6 inch deep sand bed, so only 18" depth to bottom of tank . the light is 8x 54watts

DaveK

If it's not built for aquarium use, it is safe to assume that the endcaps are not water tight. As such, I would use a glass cover. Yes, it will limit the amount of light to some degree, but that's a lot better than shorting the lighting out due to salt splash and salt creep.

bbl_nk

I'm in a similar position. I have a powerful t-5 system I was able to get at a great price with no acrylic lens/splash guard and non-waterproof end caps. I am thinking of resting it on a glass or plexi shelf about 2" off the top of the tank to prevent splashing and minimize saltwater creep. Also was considering the eggcrate cover to prevent escapees. Anyone with experiences on this?

mps9506

Some of the first T5 HO fixtures I saw being sold didn't have water resistant endcaps.
A glass cover would be a good idea, or maybe you can wire new water resistant endcaps into it.

Shouse94

I get free/cheap T-5 fixtures from sale reps and they don't come w/
water resistant endcaps. Been using them for a couple years now w/ no problems,no cover on the tank. I'm not saying I recommend this b/c salt can creep up into the connections but I have not found it to be unsafe or unreliable.
Just my experience.

forestal

mine has pretty good reflectors, except for half the bulbs 10k and some at 8k, just need to change some out, i am very happy

i priced doing a retro fit and for 8 bulbs i would spend >300 (granted i'm an electric newbie) and got this for 200, so i'm happy, although i may look into over time getting the watertight endcaps

mps9506

I'm sure wiring the endcaps might be a total pain in the butt. Eventually it will be worth the peace of mind I think. Not having to worry about water seeping in, or corroded lamp pins and contacts.
I assume these work the same as the old Icecap VHO endcaps where you slid the wire into it from underneath and it clamped into place.

DaveK

If you want to run the fixture in question directly over the tank, without a cover glass, then, yes, the fixture should be modified to use waterproof endcaps.

However, if you do use a cover glass, and have the light above that, there should be no major issue. Note how most standard aquarium fixtures, like the ones made by the tank manufacturers, do not usually contain waterproof endcaps for normal output lighting.

darkarcher

i was wondering if there is a difference between a standard t5 ballast and say one for a lighting setup like a ice cap

mps9506

well the actual Icecap ballast will overdrive your T5 bulbs so you will get more output from the bulbs with an Icecap ballast specifically.
However many fixtures use a "standard" t5 HO compatible ballast like the Fulham Workhorse ballasts. Keep in mind there is t5, and t5 HO.

mps9506

Standard T5 is an energy saving bulb.
48" T5= 28watts
48"T5HO= 54watts
The URI (Now called UVLighting) T5 HO bulbs run at 85 watts on the icecap ballast instead of the 54 watts on the standard HO ballasts.