T5 lighting?

I was think about buying a T5 lighting system for plants a 8 bulb fixture and i was just going to change the bulbs for 10,000K x 2, 12,000K x 4, Actinic Plus x 2..... would this work each bulb would be 54 watts.. so that comes to a total of 432w going over a 50g tank.... this project would cost me about $200 so it is worth it or should i go with something else... low budget right now... any help would be nice...

Cole

DaveK

That sounds like a very reasonable project for the size tank you are involved with. I would also recommend using T5 size reflectors behind the bulbs, if you have not already planned for that. You'll get a lot more effective light that way.

BoomerD

What do you have in mind for "plants? Do you mean macro-algae? Most of that won''t need such intense lighting. You could probably get by with 4X54 for that. HOWEVER, if you want to keep light-intensive corals, the 8X54 would serve quite nicely. I'm wondering how you're gonna do this for $200? Quality T5 bulbs will run more than that, plus the cost of the ballasts and reflectors...If you do this with quality components, it will cost at least $400.

boomerd - the fixture is for growing actual plants like tomatoes and or other herbs...anyways how does this sound

under $200... first buy this 2 4 6 or 8 Lamp 4ft T5 GROW LIGHT T-5 with 4' BULBS H.O - (eBay item 180142813695 end time Aug-19-07 18:15:00 PDT)
im asking the seller if he would give me a price break if it didnt come with any of the grow and bloom lights then... i would buy these bulbs ARC 54 watt 48" T5HO Fluorescent(8 Pack) - (eBay item 180116624938 end time Sep-09-07 10:57:18 PDT)
is this a good idea or just stupid?

prow

not sure on that light. it doesnt say what ballast it is. also it says the bulbs are 4 feet, can find out pin to pin the length of the bulb. sounds like it could be an odd ball size like the coralife strips. also it says the ballast is next to the bulbs, its best to have the ballast as far from the bulbs as possible. the reflector they use not sure about either, who manufactured them? there only 3 type reflector i know of that are considered good. those are sunlight supplies tek, tek 2, and icecaps slr's.

what type corals are planning on, that light could be fine, depending. the odd ball bulb size would be my biggest concern. make sure you can buy the bulbs anywhere, endcaps, reflectors and such, for me, it would need to be of standard size for easy replacements when needed. that and i would need to know the ballast and what bulb configurations they support.

i am not familiar with those bulb names, either. i suggest you look into some known brands. save up and buy a good quailty lighting system.