Sustainable Collection Revives in Papua New Guinea

Frankie

RS STAFF
Article provided by Brandon, AKA JediKnight :thumbup:
PNG-Regal-angel-476px.jpg

By Ret Talbot
Special to CORAL MAGAZINE

In March 2010, I first met Daniel Navin in the departures terminal at the international airport in Brisbane, Australia. We were both headed to Papua New Guinea (PNG)—me to research an article for CORAL Magazine on PNG’s emerging marine aquarium fishery and Navin to begin a job with Seasmart, the US-based environmental consultancy working with the PNG government to establish said fishery.
Sixteen months later—in July 2011—I caught up with Navin in Los Angeles, as he was returning to PNG as director of the company with the sole license to export PNG marine aquarium life.
As readers of CORAL know, much had changed since when Navin and I first met in Brisbane. In a miasma of politics and finger-pointing, the joint trial program between PNG National Fisheries Authority (NFA) and Seasmart came to a premature end late last summer.
We know now that at the same time Seasmart was making a splash at MACNA in Orlando, the PNG marine aquarium fishery, for all intents and purposes, ceased to exist due to a loss of funding. By January 2011, a fishery previously synonymous with environmental and socio-economic sustainability became a polarizing force for industry insiders and aquarists alike.

For the complete article please follow this link:
Sustainable Collection Revives in Papua New Guinea | Coral Magazine