Surprise! Corals Discovered in Acidic Submarine Springs

Frankie

RS STAFF
New article brought to you from our good member DesertOrchid! :thumbup:
outside-ojo-corals-1-1.jpg

SAN FRANCISCO — Certain species of corals have been discovered living in the surprisingly acidic waters of the Caribbean's submarine springs, areas thought inhospitable to corals, a new survey has found.
However, these so-called single corals are not the reef-builders responsible for the large Caribbean reefs that form critical habitat for various species, while also performing other important roles in nature.
"While single corals may have the chance to survive … it would be very different from the coral reefs we know today and that we depend on today," said Adina Paytan, a study researcher with the University of California, Santa Cruz, who presented her research here Wednesday (Dec. 7) at the annual meeting of the American Geophysical Union.
Paytanand her colleagues found three species of solitary corals growing in the relatively acidic waters flowing from natural springs along the coast of Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula. Because of its chemical properties, this water was thought to be inhospitable to corals.

For the complete article and more pictures please click here:
Surprise! Corals Discovered in Acidic Submarine Springs | Ocean Acidification & Climate Change | Coral Reefs | LiveScience

Last edited:

DesertOrchid

Thanks for the thumbs up Frankie. I came across this article and thought it would be interesting to RS as we are always fussing with our pH levels etc to get things just right. Guess mother nature compensates even in the big blue :)

Frankie

RS STAFF
Fixed my thumbs up ;)

I think the scientists would be very surprised how well corals adjust to aquarium water quality. I am always surprised when people share their water parameters and I see corals living in some of the most whacked out conditions. Corals are very resilient to the aquarist :D

mwb15

Every other organism today is alive because it has evolved to fit the current trend in climate or available resources, I know this takes many years but maybe corals will do the same if we don't speed up the destruction.