Support brackets in 125g AGA

sebastian

i have 125 g AGA and it has a frame on top, and 2 brackets.... QQQQQ...
are those bracets needed for something else than holding glass tops...or i need them for holding the tank together.....reason for my nQ is that those brackets make a lot od shade... on the bottom is about 6-7 " of shade and no "sun" so iu was wonering if i can cut them off

panmanmatt

They hold the tank together, sorry to say. Some folks have removed them and replaced them with clear acrylic, but this needs to be done before the tank is filled with water.

cracker

so the frame around on top and bottom is not enough??? those brackets are like kinda extra support?
Sorry but they are necessary. More so on a tank that large. They seem flimsy don't they. I'm having the same problem with the shadows they create.

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
s**t.... i have to think something new to change the shade areas.... any ideas????:contract: :alien:

Well... if you have two braces you need to provide lighting in three sections. I'm assuming you are talking MH. You would need a bulb left, middle and right... that should do the trick.

Witfull

to best explain it. glass can bow to a degree without breaking. BUT glass cannot twist on an axis, it will shatter.the bottom of the tank has a frame and glass holding it in place. the top only the frame. without the center braces the top woud bow more than the bottom creating an axis twist. an accident waiting to happen.

mps9506

Looking at your sig it looks like you have 2x250 watt metal halides. you want 1 metal halide per 2 feet of tank length to get full coverage, add one more halide and you shadow problem will be solved.

bluespotjawfish

I have a 125 and don't get shadows with the 3 MH setup. Until you do that though, watch your braces, they can burn/melt if directly under the MHs. At least cover the braces with some alumium foil until you fix this. (Yes, experience speaking here.)

sebastian

yeah...thx guys....thats my problem ..i have 2 mh over 3 sections.... i like the idea of 48" light over 72" tank becaouse i ahve low light sections on two sides for low light corals... but i think i will buy 24" mh and no shade problems