sump/refugium

robpam

This is my first time posting to any kind of forum so..........
I've been doing fish for 25++ yrs fresh-cichlids-salt
About 4 1/2 years ago dabbled in reef, my LFS store said canisters were fine and less expensive, at the time couldn't afford much and as is typical I don't ask for help.
3 Years ago I decided to get more serious, got a 90 gal I have 2 HOB Skimmers and run 3-XB3 and 2-XB2 canisters, some with only live rock, some with filter elements. I have 100lbs or so of live rock. I don't seem to have issues with losing corals or them not growing, unless I'm travelling to much. I have no Algae other than coralie on the intake and back glass.

Long story for a short question, do you need a sump/refugium, if so what happens when the power goes out or your pump. Don't really want the water all over the carpet.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Don't know a lot about sumps... but many members do... sure you will get some feedback soon or post this question in equipment forum...

and

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

seafansar

Welcome to RS! I think you answered your first question. You don't have to have a sump or refugium to run a reef tank. I personally know someone who runs a very nice reef tank sumpless. Many people use sumps, including me, so filtration and other things can be hidden under the tank. It also increases the water volume of your tank. When the power goes out, the water level in the sump does increase. You have to test your water level before hand and see where the max and min water level will be. Just turn off the return pump and see how far up the sump the water goes. Make sure it won't overflow and then you're set for any power outages.

robpam

Thanks for the info, always second guessing myself on this tank, wanting it better, unfortunately it's usually time and waiting for new growth

robpam

Let me explain a little more on my questioning;

In two years when my youngest graduates high school I'm moving and am going to turn this tank into a sea horse/reef and put in a 300-400 in wall reef tank, so I want as much info now so I'm not making more mistakes on the larger tank

astiesi

I would definately recommend a sump, especially for a 300-400 gallon tank. What a sump allows you to do is have a large, very efficient skimmer that doesn't have to sit on the back of the display tank. It also allows you to hide heaters, thermometers, temperature probes, auto-top off equipment, etc. You can buy the tank pre-drilled including the overflow or can look into a setup such as the ones offered by Glass-Holes.com dope aquarium stuff.

A refugium is another method to export excess nitrates/phosphates. A properly sized refugium does a great job of keeping the display free from algae but it is not a requirement. There are many ways to succeed in this hobby but a refugium is definately a tried and tested technique that seems to work well.

The secret to a quality sump setup is preparation. There are some plumbing setups that are almost equally as impressive to look at as the tank itself. Having a drilled tank greatly reduces the chance of having an overflow box break siphon and flood the house. Planning for power outages by having plenty of room in the sump for all the water above the overflow box is a must. Many people use multiple drain lines to provide some redundancy should I snail lodge itself in a pipe. I don't think you can completely eliminate the chance for a flood, but with the right plan you can greatly minimize that chance. After all, just having a glass box full of water in the house creates the possiblity of the glass cracking or the stand failing.

robpam

Thanks Anthony, I guess I already had this figured but wanted someone to kick me in the head to pull the trigger.

Any good sights for building your own or better to just buy a pre-made

seafansar

I think it depends on how well you can make something yourself and what you want to do with it. I just have a 55 gallon tank as my sump. Nothing too fancy. My dad has a huge acrylic sump that was once a fish/coral display tank from a store that went out of business. He added somethings and cut away other things to be how he wanted it.

One thing I'd recommend, but isn't a must mind you, is to have an acrylic sump drilled near the bottom at one end for an external return pump. That will reduce heat in your sump/tank and free up more space in the sump.

robpam

One thing I'd recommend, but isn't a must mind you, is to have an acrylic sump drilled near the bottom at one end for an external return pump. That will reduce heat in your sump/tank and free up more space in the sump.

Thanks Sara good idea