sump problem

JoJo

Since the front of my stand has to be cut to get my sump into, i would like to have the baffles inside of the sump before putting it into the stand. So far the only way i have seen seen how to figure baffle height & sump water line is by filling tank, cutting the power and marking the water level in sump.

Can someone please help me figure this out. Here's a shot of the stand

standfront.JPG

ReefGuy69

i think the easiest way and especially in your situtation is to build it the way you want and then have a ball valve on the return so you can control the water line. and i cant tell from the pic but cant you build the sump and then slide it in through the back of the stand. I dont see a back to the stand. or is that a permanent fixture?

JoJo

sorry for not giving all the info. if you look through my chronicle it will give you a better idea. but it is a 55g glass tank that will be used as sump & the stand is fixed into the wall. you are looking at the front of the stand but it is actually the back of the tank set up.

i agree with filling tank and cutting power. You could have a bucket to collect the water then determine the amount. Your statement of cutting the stand to fit the sump concerns me. both from a stability of the stand issue to future need to clean your sump ( much easier if the sump can be removed)

is there any option to cutting the stand?

JoJo

Not to worry about the stability part of the situation, when I replace the stud that will be cut it will be made just as strong if not stronger than it was before. This is the best solution I can think of, either way the sump will not be removable. How big of a problem will it be to clean the sump with it in stand? I'm thinking i didnt plan this out as much as i should, i'm trying to think of any other future problem i may run into.

Cleaning the sump in the stand is not the worst thing in the world. It is much easier if you can remove it. You may be able to design a way so the stud is strong yet removable. In looking at your picture, i am sure with a little inginuity you can design a "removable center brace" so you can get the sump out when need be. If not then its ok, just not the best option

JoJo

I thought about that, my only concern is when i remove the stud i want to make sure the stand top beam wont give much. I figure since the the sump is 4ft and the tank is longer, i will make permanent studs about 5ft apart so when the center stud is removed those will take some of the strain. What do you think? Thanks in advanced.

I have an all glass 125 gallon with their stand. 72" x 18" x 18" and there is no center brace on my stand. the tank is suported by resting on 1" x 4" oak on both sides and the front. in the back is the same 1x4 oak with 2 braces going verticle from bottom to top of the stand.

you could do the same by having your tank rest on the reinforced sides front
and back. The sides and front are set down about an inch so the moulding
covers the studs and makes a nice clean look.

JoJo

my stand is made up of conjoined 2x4's all the way around, legs & braces. its really strong & reaallly heavy. I probably could do away with the center brace in the rear. you got any quick pics of your stand so I can get a visual of what you're saying. Thanx