sump or not to sump?

duke1231

I was just wondering if I should have a sump with a 30g tank? I am going to have refugium, so should I go ahead and go with the sump?

Gina

RS STAFF
Well I would!
The sump would give you more water volume (which is always good) and a handy place to hide some of your equiptment. You could plumb the sump and refugium together.

duke1231

thankyou. How many gal. should my sump be? I am going to build one myself gives me a cool project for the weekends or when I get home from work. It also helps my obsession with this hobby, I think I am going crazy because I am so obessed. lol:)

Gina

RS STAFF
That all depends on where you plan on putting it.
If your going under the tank, you'll have to take into consideration how much room you have under there for a sump.

If you don't have alot of room, you could always set it up beside the tank kinda like a separate system.

duke1231

I don't know. I understand the function of a sump and I went to a persons website and checked thier design...... I may for now just have a canister filter and a seperate refugium.

duke1231

I dont know if I have the talent for making one and they sound expensive to buy. Dont get me wrong I am all for the fish but my marriage is kinda of important. Sometimes it feels like I have to go before congress and ask for money lol. Is acrylic that expensive?

boozeman

you can get a small rubbermaid container and some acrylic squares for baffles at home depot..make your own for just a few bucks... DIY!!!

proud2bcanadian

Definitely sump!
More water volume = more stable water params.

They're not overly expensive. Get a tank, whether new or used, and get someone to cut you some glass or acrylic to put into that tank to be used as baffles. That's pretty much all that's to it! I would suggest a sump that's at least, no less than half your tank's volume. If it's a 30g tank, I'd go for a 20 or 25 gallon sump.

HTH,

lcstorc

Go with the sump. Just get a container that holds water and go for it. They are extremely useful particularly with the smaller systems. They also give you a place to hide all the icky type of equipment so use that to convince your wife. She doesn't want to look at a skimmer all the time does she? That would be the angle I would use with my husband anyway. :) Plus a sump is cheaper than a canister filter anyway and canisters are notorious for growing bacteria and turning biological which can cause problems down the road.

duke1231

Oh I changed my mind with the size tank, as far as the main tank is considered. I am going with the 20gal long, and I am still going to go with the sump like you guys have suggested. As far as my wife goes, lets just say she is in charge of finace, because if I was, I would have a 200 gal tank and be living on the street. So my wife likes fish and pets in general but I have to butter her up for a month or so, so while I do that, I am researching, researching, and researching. I am going to first make the stand, and then put the fish tank on top and so on and so fourth till it's complete. I am sure it is an expensive hobby but it doesnt have to be that bad if you can DIY. So I hope you guys dont think I am a waste of time for advice, I seriously take it to hart and write down the info, I have a good size notebook coming along.

lcstorc

Your posts clearly show you are serious about this and want to do it right.
Another way to cut down on costs is to find a "frag friend". This is particularly helpful if you find someone close enough to you that you don't need to bother with shipping. Even with shipping it is lots cheaper than paying retail if you are willing to get a small piece of something and then let it grow in your tank. (This is assuming you are going reef instead of fowlr. Sorry but I can't keep track. LOL)

duke1231

I am pretty sure I will later on, but for now it is going to be fowlr. I am already starting to check out corral that is good for a begginer.

sandman3467

duke1231 said:
Oh you have had a 20gal long how was that? thats what I am thinking of getting.

The 20L was my first tank without help from my marine biologist cousin.It was hard at first setting up and getting going...but it was a blast keeping and learning for myself.I had my first mated pair of clowns that gave me more Nemo's and they hosted a Haitan Pink-tip with is unusual.But all in all it was easy and a blast.