Suggestions on my next fish

GlassMunky

So, after my move across the river to PA, i ended up seperating my blue damsel from my 29G tank as she was seriously bullying my manderin. I put the damsel in my 14G Biocube where she is alone and cant hurt anyone, she seems to like it actually. But now my 29G is feeling a little empty, and im feeling the urge to get another fish.

Current tank specs:
29G SPS dominant tank with a few LPS
10G Sump/Fuge with cheato and sand/LR
AquaC Remora skimmer
Run Carbon passivly

Current tank inhabitants:
1 False Perucula Clown
1 Female Red Manderin
1 Serpent Star
1 Porcalein Crab
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
lots of corals

What are your suggestions of fish that would make good tank mates with these fish and not overload my bioload. I was thinking maybe a shrimp/goby pair? but some people seem to say the shrimp ends up being a big pain and causing a big mess..... and not sure if the shrimp would get along with my current CBS? Also, no jumping fish as this is an open top tank (Already had a firefirsh go carpet surfing :( )

JoeG

I am a Wrasse fan myself, A very lively fish, always on the move, many colors to choose from, no problems with them bothering my corals. the only downside with mine is it will pick on my blue leg hermits once in a while.

GlassMunky

I looked at maybe a 4-line or a 6-line wrasse...... it says that sometimes they can nip at other slow/shy fish. so i was/am slightly concerned about adding it to a tank with the manderin??? anyone have any thoughts on the manderin with a 6-line? any experiance with them nipping? (since thats why i removed the damsel)

mbdave

All good suggestions but my default fish is the amazing Midas Blenny, hardy, beautiful, I never had an aggresive one, and great character.

Robzilla

Wrasses are, more often than not, going to be jumpers. Six-lines are mean little guys too.

Blennies are definitely a safer option with an open top, though pretty much any fish can be a jumper.

Id reccomend some Chromis. Hardy, friendly, swim in groups, active swimmers, and i do believe they have a couple different colors of them now. I also heard flame hawkfish are really good keepers. Ive never owned one but i heard many good reviews on them. Best of luck.

GlassMunky

So I think im now considering either a Midas blenny or a tail spot blenny (The midas will get pretty big for my 29G tank) and ossably also a Royal Gramma? do you guys think that those 4 fish(clown, manderin, blenny, and gramma) would be overloading the bioload? obviously i wouldnty add both 2 new fish at the same time, but still?????

mbdave

Yeah a midas gets quite long but they do not take up too much real estate because they are very slim. They have character you will always enjoy.
Let me add that Royal Grammas are also a great fish that is quite beautiful and very hardy another very good choice.

I have heard Midas blennies can get some real attitude when situated in a tank. They start getting a little territorial and being in such a small tank doesnt help. And if it becomes the largest fish in your tank, i dont think it will be very nice to other friendly ones. I even double checked with Foster&Smith and they also say that.... "This blenny will appreciate a minimum tank of 30 gallons or larger with numerous rocks on which to perch. Sometimes, the Midas Blenny will vex small planktivores and has been known to nip at firefish and gobies. Larger tanks are advantageous as many of the Midas Blenny's aggressive behavior traits seem to relate to a confining tank situation." Best of luck.

GlassMunky

Yea that's kinda why I was leaning towards the tail spot blenny since he stays smaller and won't get bigger than the manderin.

msjboy

I have a red sea max 130.... So far 5 fish are 2 percula clowns, bag cardinal, 6 line wrasse and a watchman goby. I think I will add one more in the future being either a bicolor blenny, purple fire fish,or royal gramma....
Msjboy