Submersible Pumps???

odstar

What can I use to replace the stock pump and that will connect to the stock hose on a Aquapod 24gal? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

daveat

without knowing what size or style of hose it is hooked up to it would be impossible to tell you. your best bet would be to remove the old pump and take it to your LFS and ask for their advice. if it is just a standard 3/4" hose fitting than you could use any pump with a 3/4" output.

many quality brand pumps come with several choices of output styles that are interchangable

p.s. how well do you like your aquapod?? i almost bought one but went with a NC 24gallon instead.

odstar

the Aquapod I purchased came with a 70W 14,000K MH ligthing fixture with additional 6 white LEDs and 6 Lunar LEDs. Also included a builtin super quiet fan. i was also torn between the 2 system but ended up with the upgraded lighting system. i like it no complaints as of yet...(knock on wood of course)
Question: Have you started your system yet? If so I would like to know how you set your filtration up? Did you use LR rubble? Did you remove the sponge?

Thanks

daveat

odstar- you can check out my stuff in the reef chronicles forum. right now i have NO filtration other than live rock and live sand in the tank. i took out my sponge, ceramic rings, and carbon that the kit came with. i bought the nanoskim (the nano cube doesn't skim off the surface this is a cassette tape shaped thing that allows the water to come off the top) what i did with this was i cut a small peice of the foam that came for the filtration and put it inbetween the skim plate and the intake.

i'll post some pics in the reef chronicles forum 2morrow

daveat

odstar i posted a pic in the reef chronicles forum of how my skim plate is set up

also have some full tank shots as well

odstar

Nice tank! How long did it take to set everything up? I am still in the process of cycling, but getting little Amphipods running around on the LR!!! To my understanding thats a good thing. I really didn't make out your skim plate??? In the Aquapod the skim plate runs from the top to the bottom of the tank? I know the Nano Cube only has two (2) one on the top the other on the bottom. I removed the sliding plates which slide into place to increase or decrease flow into the back filtration. Should I remove the sponge and decrease watr into the back filtration?

daveat

oh yeah i forgot that the pod already skims off the top... mine just has an oval shaped hole that is below surface level for the water inlet into the back chambers. what i had to do was but a little plate thing that goes over this to suck the water off the top, inbetween that and the oval shaped hole is a small (1/2" thick by 4"X2") this is the only filtration i am running. i take it out and clean it every few days.

if you can get a picture that would let me see what your talking about and see if i can help?

phil

I replaced the stock pump on my aquapod 24 gal with a maxi 1200, the tube was too big so I took a half inch tube (the size of the out on the maxi) and simply snugg fit it in the stock hole works great (tip wet the half inch hose first makes it alot easier to go inside the larger one.

Ian

phil said:
I replaced the stock pump on my aquapod 24 gal with a maxi 1200, the tube was too big so I took a half inch tube (the size of the out on the maxi) and simply snugg fit it in the stock hole works great (tip wet the half inch hose first makes it alot easier to go inside the larger one.

How did you install the maxijet 1200? Is it submersible ? Why did you choose that over the stock?
Does it run hotter than the stock?
Thanks

odstar

I have a AP 24 I put the pump in the 2nd Chamber. I have no clue because I replaced the stock pump right away. Also if oyu look at all the threads here, they say to change the stock pump. It's all up to you

KMP

I also did some reading on this and it was suggested to swap out the pump for the maxijet because it used half the wattage and would help cut down on heat.

I have yet to find out what brand pump is in the 24g Aquapod, but I did find out it's output - 290gph. With that figure I started checking out the Maxijets [which are submersible] to see the stats on those. Yes, you can get the Maxijet 900 which uses 8.5 watts but it's output is 230gph. To get the equivalent output of the stock pump you have to go up to the Maxijet 1200 which has an output of 295gph but the wattage consumption jumps to 20 watts. So at this point you have to ask yourself - is it worth it? I can't find the wattage of the stock pump but I can't imagine it's 40 watts as someone implied in another thread. Could be wrong, but I would like to see the stats if anyone can find them.

Here's a link that shows the gph and wattage used by the Maxijets:

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium...stems_maxi-jet_mini-jet_micro-jet.asp?CartId=

latuttle

I just got the exact same setup - AP24 with the metal halide lights. I'm amazed that you call the fan in the hood super-quiet; it sounds like there's a helicopter is taking off to me. I'm seriously thinking of replacing the fans in the hood with something quieter - this tank is in my bedroom!

I am replacing the stock pump with a MJ1200; I also did the egg-crate plastic top idea that someone suggested on the first page of the "Aquapod Fun" thread. I also am planning on running a bakpak2r (protein skimmer and bubble trap thingy that hangs on the back). I'm not sure how well this is going to work, but I've read mixed reviews on the mini skimmers that can fit in the filter compartments.

Right now, it's full of tap water (checking for leaks!) I am planning on live rock in a week or so. I haven't decided whether I'm going to put rubble in the filter chambers, use the sponges, or exactly what I am going to do.

Are you worried about potential heat problems? I am. I was checking LFS's yesterday, and the one I liked best had two nano-cube 24s up and running in their store. They were drop-dead gorgeous. The woman who maintains them was showing me how she'd set them up - she was running a small skimmer in the filter tank, and was using some floss media in the filter inflow compartment. Other than that they were running stock pump and no additional powerheads. I asked about adding powerheads and was told it would be too much for such small tanks.

I noticed that they weren't using any heaters, which makes me think that heat issues and nanoreefs perhaps go together. I suppose I should mention that these were light-in-lid types of setups - we have a lot more clearance between the lights and the water. They did have the balasts for the lights hidden below the tank (a nod to heat problems I suspect.)

Anyway, I haven't even put rock #1 in the tank and I'm already thinkin of heat issues and second guessing myself. Perhaps I worry too much, but I really want to get this right.

odstar

I inderstand you wanting to get everything right. I was the same way! Trial and error and reading post here at RS has helped me out. I run a Remore HOB Skimmer. I am thinking of adding a HOB AC 110 MOD refugium as well. I don't have any heating issue since I run my Central Cooling and Heating System 247 at home. Bill is through the roof so I am going to invest in a Chiller.