Storing live rock

Hi guys,

I’ve not been on here much but I do have a question I could do with some advice with.

I want to collect together some live rock over a period of 2 or 3 months so I can hopefully get some good pieces and build my perfect rockscape.

I was going to keep in salt water with plenty of water movement. It would be kept in the shed in a container so the water would get cold especially at night.

The question is:- Do I need to heat the water and do I need lights.

I’m having trouble finding dry rock and can only seem to find cured live rock. If the above is a problem I’ll just have to re cure my rock once I’m happy with what I’ve got.

Thanks

Steve

RSM250PEARL

Hi Steve, I've actually done this before. I kept all my rock in a big tub with a heater and a pump in SW just to keep the bacteria alive. I didn't use lights but I did have a small spare skimmer running but after a little while it stopped producing anything. You could alternatively do occasional WC on the water their sitting in. Hope that helps.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ditto! Here's how I did my last small batch of LR
  • Large SW capable container
  • 2 Power heads to keep water circulating
  • 2 150W heaters (keep it up to temp is my belief)
  • Do water changes 1x month of about 20%
  • No light would be great unless there are photosynthetic coral you're trying to save
  • Add a shrimp or some other "Organic" material to the container 1x - 2x week to keep the bacteria thriving