stingray then seahorse

JoJo

I was going fishing, so i stopped by a bait shop on the way. As I was getting ready to checkout i noticed a 55g tank. After paying I walked over to the tank, there was a 6" round stingray in the tank. No shelter/hiding places, no sand(1/4-1/2 pebble rock) a barely working Seaclone and HOB filter. Oh they were doing water changes to the tank with the water the bait ship came in, & they said they started out with 4 and that was the only one still alive.

I go back to day( a week later) and the stingray is gone, clerk says, "it died I think its cause the skimmer isn't working right. BUT i look at the tang closely and notice a seahorse wrapped around a piece of fishing pole they stuck in there. so i want be going back that in fear of what they will have next.

lcstorc

How Awful.
I once saw a tank at an LFS with a sohal tang and seahorses. It was very frightning and I told the owner. Then I walked out and have not been back.

kathywithbirds

People are not informed. BTW, ILC has a rather LARGE ... I want to say a pipefish, about a foot, light brown, seahorse head that's a little cocked like a horse (I've been reading Matt's book), straight body with a roughish body but no LARGE protrusions like on some... in with a TEENY little pipefish, purple and yellow striped guy.

And they have mantis shrimps, two different guys in an 8 g together, a peacock and a brownish one.

panmanmatt

Sounds like an alligator pipe fish and an African blue stripe pipe fish. Unfortunately both will most likely perish as they have no clue what to feed them. The alligator needs live foods at first and all they have is brine shrimp.

As for the mantis shrimp, I can almost guarantee that the peacock will kill the other one. Especially if it's the one they've had for a while now, he's huge.