Steve's LEDs

Pat24601

They appear to have the RSM 250 retrofit on sale for "40% off" that "ends soon". $420 before options like $700 after I add all the options. Are they always on sale and that's a marketing gimic?

Also, I read through the installation instructions in detail and I found them fairly intimidating. I didn't buy an all in one tank because I'm a great DIY guy. :). Especially the drilling new holes. I can easily imagine me breaking my hood. So, is it as intimidating as it looks or not that bad when you take it step b step? =P

I do think LEDs sound cool. I don't think I need them as I think my tank is pretty cool as is. It's more of a luxury item. I'd be justifying on the basis of reduced fan noise, which matters a lot to my wife, no chiller needed...which I may not anyway...and overall coolness.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
Which fan noise? I put Radions in my hood and I still use all of the stock hood fans. If you are referring to the cooling fan on the back of the hood, I tried to go without running it and the moisture condensation that dripped off the inside to the hood when I opened it, drove me nuts. I went back to running it, so the evaporation helps with that condensation.

Pat24601

Which fan noise? I put Radions in my hood and I still use all of the stock hood fans. If you are referring to the cooling fan on the back of the hood, I tried to go without running it and the moisture condensation that dripped off the inside to the hood when I opened it, drove me nuts. I went back to running it, so the evaporation helps with that condensation.

Ahh, yes that is what I meant. Apparently, it doesn't work like I imagined. Thanks!

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
Ahh, yes that is what I meant. Apparently, it doesn't work like I imagined. Thanks!

Pat, not sure what you mean that it doesn't work like you imagined. Some people remove that fan, mainly because of the noise. I left it because I hated all the moisture that was on the inside of the hood when you open it. Running that fan helps with that. I also left the circulation fans that were on each side of the T5's to make sure that there was enough air movement, so that the Radions don't overheat. I actually added a third on each side. I am not sure what people that used the Steve's did with those fans, you might ask Diana, she has Steve's LED's in her hood.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I have Steve's LEDs installed on my RSM 250. I still have the water cooling fans running, though I really may not need them. I also no longer run a chiller. When installing the LEDs you do remove the fans in the sides of the hood and only reuse one of them, so that reduces the noise somewhat.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I have Steve's LEDs installed on my RSM 250. I still have the water cooling fans running, though I really may not need them. I also no longer run a chiller. When installing the LEDs you do remove the fans in the sides of the hood and only reuse one of them, so that reduces the noise somewhat.

Do you find those fans noisy? I have six of them, three on each size (and with the exception of a small vibration that you only hear standing right next to the tank), I don't find them noisy. I do find that the rear cooling fan is noisy. I read that because of the way it is design, the blades are rubbing against the case and when you insert them in the slot in the rear, it puts those blades in a bind, thus producing the noise.
What does your tank run at without the chiller? I keep my set at 78 degrees, so it still runs some.

BTW, I'm coming your way around Labor Day.

I am waiting on my Steve lights to arrive sometime early next week. The LEDs that come in this Reto-fit, have there own cooling fans in each "tube sink". I'm not sure about the condensation in the hood with, with cooling fans off... I do know that my overall temp should lower about 60% (as per others with same setup have reported). I will document install and proceedings on my thread Seans Ocean starting next week.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Do you find those fans noisy? I have six of them, three on each size (and with the exception of a small vibration that you only hear standing right next to the tank), I don't find them noisy. I do find that the rear cooling fan is noisy. I read that because of the way it is design, the blades are rubbing against the case and when you insert them in the slot in the rear, it puts those blades in a bind, thus producing the noise.
What does your tank run at without the chiller? I keep my set at 78 degrees, so it still runs some.

BTW, I'm coming your way around Labor Day.

My house air is set to 77 during the day and my tank stays in the 79-80 degree range with just the cooling fans running. I love not running a chiller. I agree, I think most of the noise comes from the rear cooling fans but I like them running anyway.

Awesome!! Where are you going to be?

Joeys Tank

I just installed my Steve's LEDs last night in my RSM 650. I definitely understand the intimidation factor with the instructions. I am looking forward to all of the kinks being ironed out. However, RS has some very nice walk through threads (big thanks to Greg) on alot of the installation concerns.

In addition to the sale, they are also offering the following:

Free Typhon Digital LED Controller** with any purchase over $400. Use Coupon Code FreeTyphon400

Free Typhon Digital LED Controller and Typhon Presoldered Output Extension** with any purchase over $500. Use Coupon Code FreeTyphon500

Let's all know how it goes.

Choff

They will swap that controller for the card you need for an apex.

Naj, I love radions but most of us want to retain the stock hood and the RS LEDs for the S series are sometime in 2015. That could be a long wait and it's still a hood replacement. Who knows if you will like the way it looks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Naj117

They will swap that controller for the card you need for an apex.

Naj, I love radions but most of us want to retain the stock hood and the RS LEDs for the S series are sometime in 2015. That could be a long wait and it's still a hood replacement. Who knows if you will like the way it looks.

True mate but I'm still really p***ed off with them due to their. "99% complete" "takes 30 mins" claim and they can't provide a decent set of instructions with the money paid for them. I went through a hundred emails with poor Greg over the Christmas period and I'm sure he would have much preferred spending that time with his family I mean how difficult would it be for them to put some decent instructions together?!

Sorry all, I spent money on them plus another 100 plus quid on customs charges and they are wasting away in storage

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I put the Radions in the hood of my 250. I removed the T5 reflector, end caps, and ballast. I left the fans and the brackets that held the reflector. With the exception of where I ran the power cord out the back of the hood, I did nothing to the outside of my hood. I used the brackets that used to hold the reflector as part of the mount/support for the Radions. I placed the Radions as high in the hood as I could since the fans are on the side with the lights. I left the stock fans in and added at third fan on each side since there is room. From the outside, you can't tell I did anything to the hood.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
My house air is set to 77 during the day and my tank stays in the 79-80 degree range with just the cooling fans running. I love not running a chiller. I agree, I think most of the noise comes from the rear cooling fans but I like them running anyway.

Awesome!! Where are you going to be?

We will be spending 8/29 in Vero Beach and then going on to Key Colony Beach for two weeks.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Sweet, enjoy it down here. You'll be just a few miles from here and I love living here!! Let me know if I can help with anything.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
Have fun in the keys - your stating near some great reefs & some of the best fishing in the keys

We will.

We went to Marathon every summer for about 18 years. Then they torn the place that we used to stay. We found a duplex in Key Colony that we really like. It has a pool and boat dock. We can't come to the Keys without our boat.

Choff

I will agree its a bit dodgy of a set up and i too have not yet installed mine. I'm still running my kessils. Not sure when I will actually cut over. I've done all the work and got them running except for the apex controller. Everything is going to well to make any changes.

poachermas

True mate but I'm still really p***ed off with them due to their. "99% complete" "takes 30 mins" claim and they can't provide a decent set of instructions with the money paid for them. I went through a hundred emails with poor Greg over the Christmas period and I'm sure he would have much preferred spending that time with his family I mean how difficult would it be for them to put some decent instructions together?!

Sorry all, I spent money on them plus another 100 plus quid on customs charges and they are wasting away in storage

Hi naj117 just seen your post,if you need help,I'm off j9 m1,if that helps