Steve's LEDs

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Best instructions I've seen yet, thanks. You are correct, my boards are both V7.0. I followed these instructions exactly and only my white LED's came on. I have disconnect the 4 wires and now no lights come on??? Very frustrating as you can imagine. any thoughts? Typhoon is programed at 55%. All 4 showed 55% on the screen. My gut tells me I still need an 8 wire (4+ and 4-) as there is a Dim1 and Dim2 on both of the drivers.

Thant doesn't explain why the lights have not gone back on after disconnecting the Typhoon??? Thanks so much!

How many LED drivers do you have? This is one driver:

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Now that I think about it some more, it does seem like they sent you the wrong cable. You should have 4 drivers, 2 white channels and 2 blue channels. In order to set this up correctly you will need one positive wire from the typhon to each driver (4 total) and you will need one ground wire from the Typhon to one LED driver ground.

hensleyac

Now that I think about it some more, it does seem like they sent you the wrong cable. You should have 4 drivers, 2 white channels and 2 blue channels. In order to set this up correctly you will need one positive wire from the typhon to each driver (4 total) and you will need one ground wire from the Typhon to one LED driver ground.

I must have 2 drivers per circuit board (4 total) each board has DIM 1 and DIM 2. Steve's replied that they sent me the wrong cable by mistake. They are sending me the 8 wire.

I BELIEVE PROPER WIRING IS... Ignore the Greens (Per Steve's). Connect 2 Black wires to the 2 Ground holes on each of the circuit boards. Connect 1 yellow wire to DIM 1 and other yellow wire to DIM1 on the second board. Connect 1 red to DIM2 and the other red to DIM 2 on the second board.

For the love of Poseidon and any other sea dwelling Greeks I hope that this works!!!!

Here is a picture of one of my circuit boards.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I love following this thread... but for us non-DIYers... who would love to get these leds... the 99% complete are... 1 % from I could never imaging trying unless I could buy Greg a plane ticket & fly him in to help ;)

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I must have 2 drivers per circuit board (4 total) each board has DIM 1 and DIM 2. Steve's replied that they sent me the wrong cable by mistake. They are sending me the 8 wire.

I BELIEVE PROPER WIRING IS... Ignore the Greens (Per Steve's). Connect 2 Black wires to the 2 Ground holes on each of the circuit boards. Connect 1 yellow wire to DIM 1 and other yellow wire to DIM1 on the second board. Connect 1 red to DIM2 and the other red to DIM 2 on the second board.

For the love of Poseidon and any other sea dwelling Greeks I hope that this works!!!!

Here is a picture of one of my circuit boards.

Yes sir, I believe that to be correct.

hensleyac

I love following this thread... but for us non-DIYers... who would love to get these leds... the 99% complete are... 1 % from I could never imaging trying unless I could buy Greg a plane ticket & fly him in to help ;)

They should offer a service for people to ship them their hood. (Maybe they do???) You would obviously need to make this decision before setting up your tank or have spare lighting you could use temporarily. I believe they could make the whole process much easier with more accurate instructions and offering phone support.

Are the lights great? Yes. Is the product high quality? Yes. Is it worth the hassle in the end? Yes. Does the entire process from ordering - to install - to support suck really bad? Yes. I had hair before I took this project on!

Hutchy007

That's not good. I would probably disconnect the controller and switch the DIP switches on to see if all channels work. If all channels work, your controller would be the issue. If that doesn't work, I would probably e-mail Steve's LEDs to get advice. I hope it's something simple.

I hope it's something simple, otherwise my beloved fishes and coral are goosed

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Joeys Tank

Are the lights great? Yes. Is the product high quality? Yes. Is it worth the hassle in the end? Yes. Does the entire process from ordering - to install - to support suck really bad? Yes. I had hair before I took this project on!

Agreed on all accounts. There is hassle involved with the 99% complete installation but definitely worth it in the end. For the love of all that is holy, I do not understand why Steve hasn't read through this entire thread and revised his installation instructions.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I had a conversation with them about the instructions and I offered to re-write them. I asked them to send me the Word document containing the instructions and they never sent it. So here we sit...

Diemaker

Hum decided to install my typhoon controller and I'm guessing because I have 2 led strips on my 650 that the cord from the controller should have 1 for each driver and a black for a ground? Somehow I only got 4 wires!!! Instead of 5 or more

I'm guessing I can go to the local RadioShack and get a connector to plug into the controller and make my own wire?

But I also got 4 shirt red and black wires with plugs so I'm guessing I could use those with all the reds and only 1 of the blacks for a ground and cut the rest of the wires off?

It the prongs on the screen side the ground?

Also for the fade is it 1:00 one hour to ramp up or one minute?

As per the normal the instruction are crap I think we should all stop buying from them till there fix this

I just thought of this what if a made a jumper wire from dim1 to dim1 on each driver then did the same for dim2-dim2. Would this work

Last edited:

Diemaker

Ok so I've figured this out they did send me the wrong cord but

Yes you can gang the dims together on each driver but you will only have two channel control no biggie

I decided to grab some wire and make my own cord so I have the full 4 channel control not to hard

Also figured out that 1:00 on fade equals 1 hour

Would really help if steves led made proper directions instead of the Mickey Mouse crap that they give to you. The new 2014 instructions didn't even cover my lights that are 6 months old.

Hi Greg
I installed my new lights today and yes th directions that come with it are horrible.
I have everything working but when I plug in the lights to the typhoon the controllers goes crazy and just starts flashing or just powers off. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Pat24601

This is where I am. I'd love LEDs and these sound great from the forum feedback, but I read the instructions and was highly intimidated.

Joeys Tank

If your Typhon is looking like it is properly set up per the instructions Greg linked, then I would turn your attention to the DIP switches on your driver boards. This tends to be a commonly overlooked piece of the install.

Lexinverts

Is there any way to split your photo period with the Typhon controller? What mean is, if I want my lights to be on from 730 to 1130, and then from 530 to 930...
It doesn't seen like you can do it, but I wondered if anyone else had tried this.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Is there any way to split your photo period with the Typhon controller? What mean is, if I want my lights to be on from 730 to 1130, and then from 530 to 930...
It doesn't seen like you can do it, but I wondered if anyone else had tried this.
I don't think this can be done.

Joeys Tank

If you want to run all of your drivers at the same time, then I am with Greg. It can't be done. However, you most likely have 4 drivers, 2 drivers of the same type of LEDs and 2 drivers of the same, different type of LED. What you could do is run half of your drivers from 7:30 to 11:30 (one white and one blue) and then they shut off until the next day. At 5:30, your other pair of drivers come on until 9:30. While you are losing half of your light intensity, a lot of people run their Steve's LEDs at half power. While this will look like it will work, most likely running 2 drivers will only give you strong coverage in half of your tank based on the setup of the LEDs. This will be very bad for your coral in your system if you do it this way since the left side will be getting high intensity light for 4 hours a day and washed out light for the other 4 (when the right side is on high intensity).

An aquarium controller will be able to do this for you.

Lexinverts

Thanks, guys.

One other question for all of the RSM250 Steve's Leds users. What power did you settle on in the end? Right now I am at 62% on the blues and 46% on the whites. I am wondering if I am too bright though, since some of my corals seem to be reacting negatively. I have slowly worked my way up from 40% on each channel over the last 3 months.