Steve's LEDs

stevenic

I'm looking at Steves retro fit kit for my RSM 500. Would love to see it work with the Apex but will probably start with the Typhoon controller. 2 questions:

1 - I noticed the option to get a 12' extension cable with the Typhoon. I'm planning to mount in my power center as well so wondering if the 12' extension cable is absolutely necessary. Assuming it otherwise comes with a 6' cable but they don't really specify.

2 - The 12k upgrade seems popular on this thread but noticed that comes in two flavors. Anyone been able to compare the differences between "Balanced growth and Aesthetics" upgrade and the "Amazing Aesthetics" upgrade?

-steve

Wolffman64

I'm looking at Steves retro fit kit for my RSM 500. Would love to see it work with the Apex but will probably start with the Typhoon controller. 2 questions:

1 - I noticed the option to get a 12' extension cable with the Typhoon. I'm planning to mount in my power center as well so wondering if the 12' extension cable is absolutely necessary. Assuming it otherwise comes with a 6' cable but they don't really specify.

2 - The 12k upgrade seems popular on this thread but noticed that comes in two flavors. Anyone been able to compare the differences between "Balanced growth and Aesthetics" upgrade and the "Amazing Aesthetics" upgrade?

-steve

Hi steve,

I have the 12k upgrade from Steve's LED in my RSM 500, and I love it!

What is really interesting, is that I was really looking forward to the benefits of the LED (less power consumption, less heat/chiller running time and no tube changes), but was a bit worried about the long term growth of corals under LED (compared to T5). So far, after I changed to Steve's LED, almost all of my SPS have really "exploded" (ok, slight exaggeration..) growth wise! I am very happy with my decision to swap!

With regards to your question 1 - Most of my cables were too short, so I initially ended up having the typhon controller hanging from the cables in the back of the tank. Not great. I ended up changing and extending all the cables myself. I would recommend you to get the 12" extension lead.

I can't answer 2, since this has changed since I got my 12 K, I've got the 12 k that is described further down on their page.

Please let me know (PM or in here) if there is anything else I can help you with, I did a couple of mistakes that are easily avoidable.

stevenic

Thanks Wolffman... I'm planning to do the 99% assembled option. Not because I can't solder, I'm just lazy. :) I may PM you after I order anyway just so I know what issues you ran into. I haven't seen anyone say they've got them to work with the Apex yet. Wish there was a recipe for that. :)

Wolffman64

Thanks Wolffman... I'm planning to do the 99% assembled option. Not because I can't solder, I'm just lazy. :) I may PM you after I order anyway just so I know what issues you ran into. I haven't seen anyone say they've got them to work with the Apex yet. Wish there was a recipe for that. :)

No probs, please do.
I haven't hooked it up to my Reef Angel yet, even though I have the module, since the Typhon is so easy to set up and change and works flawlessly...

Pat24601

I was looking into this again as I really want LEDs. Steves site currently says:

*95% Completed System! Optional upgrade description: Your kit will be 95% assembled, effectively reducing the installation time from hours to less than 10 minutes. A phillips screwdriver using the included 4 screws is all that is required for installation. "

Is that remotely true? Reading this thread and reading the instructions I saw it looked way, way more intimidating than that implies and I thought involved drilling the hood among other things.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
It is more difficult than that for the RSM250. I've never done a 250C so I can't really comment on that one. If you have some basic electrical and mechanical skills you can do it.

Hutchy007

Doing it the first time will take you awhile. However, once it's done you realise how easy it is.
It's the fear of making a mistake was my biggest problem.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

GregT

:ponder2:
Doing it the first time will take you awhile. However, once it's done you realise how easy it is.
It's the fear of making a mistake was my biggest problem.

I found with my setup too. I stared at It for ages after I'd disassembled my hood before I was brave enough to start. Think it was the bigger fear of night approaching that made me crack on :ponder2:

Pat24601

Thanks for the input, all. I also downloaded and read the instructions. I REALLY want LEDs. I've seen them at my LFS and they are quite cool.

My biggest fear is breaking my hood and not having lights and screwing up my tank. Everything else is just stuff that can be fixed with money and time even if I do break it. (Don't tell my wife I said that). Your input makes sense to me and is very helpful. Let me think...

Joeys Tank

I was apprehensive before gutting my light hood. I looked over the instructions, pondered the hood, back and forth for about 3 hours. Finally I said "screw it, if I mess up the central hood piece, I will just order another one". Once I basically let go, it became easier. Love the mod, btw.

Hutchy007

I fitted the leds on my table first to make sure they worked... A dry run so to speak. It took awhile to break the hood apart and I treble checked everything, Everytime I did something. Still managed to drill holes in wrong position aswell
But honestly, I'm useless at this type of thing and if I managed it, literally anyone can

Wolffman64

I was apprehensive before gutting my light hood. I looked over the instructions, pondered the hood, back and forth for about 3 hours. Finally I said "screw it, if I mess up the central hood piece, I will just order another one". Once I basically let go, it became easier. Love the mod, btw.

Hahaha, same here. I had it all out for over a week before I finally managed to muster up the courage to get started

woohherewego

Hi everyone. Does anyone have experience using a outlet timer to turn off the power supply automatically during the hours when the LED is not in use? I don't like how the fan and the drivers are constantly on. Would there be any long term problem with a daily on/off cycle? Thanks! Sorry if this question been asked before.

Joeys Tank

I don't use a timer on my power supply. My fan only runs when the power supply temp gets high enough to trigger the thermostat to cycle it on. I would be concerned something may be wrong if my fan was constantly on.

From an electrical viewpoint on the drivers. Leaving power supplied to them may be better at prolonging their life when compared to a "cold backup" style of powering them. When power is supplied from the wall to the system, it is like a tidal surge crashing into a damn. With the system in "hot backup", power is there waiting to be used, like a flood gate opening from time to time in the damn to let water through. Both will cause wear and tear on a system, but it is the switches taking the brunt, not the drivers.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hi everyone. Does anyone have experience using a outlet timer to turn off the power supply automatically during the hours when the LED is not in use? I don't like how the fan and the drivers are constantly on. Would there be any long term problem with a daily on/off cycle? Thanks! Sorry if this question been asked before.

Welcome to RS!!
I'm sure you could but as stated, not sure why your fans are always on...

What tank is this on? For me, I have the RSM 250 and I have the power supply wired into the RSM250 timer. This way you you set that timer (same thing as setting an external timer) for when you'll have the lights on.

woohherewego

Thanks so much for your help! Oops, didn't realized that this thread is in the RSM owner club. Yea, I have a Biocube 14 where my fan is wired directly to the PSU, which makes it constantly on unless I unplug the whole LED system.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)