Steve's LEDs

BigJim70

What the...?

So, I'm on step 25 and Steve's instructions sort of fizzle out.

"25. Connect the power extension cord, connecting the main power supply and the LED drivers. Please read the
Connector installation guide to ensure you are not plugging them in backwards, which will destroy your
entire system."

That's it. No pictures or diagrams. The Connector installation guide that he refers to is no longer on his website. I'm stuck here, since I don't know how to connect my main power supply and LED drivers. Can anyone here help me out?
Thanks.

Here's the lovely state of affairs after about 4 hrs of work...

I feel your pain. Greg put the diagram on page 17 of this thread. That should point you in the right direction.

Lexinverts

Thanks, Jim. I think that I must use one of my white cords to plug into the LED drivers. I have two of them, and I think the other must be for the Typhon controller. How did you route the white cord that plugs into the power supply into the hood? I don't think Steve's instructions say anything about drilling another hole for this white cord...but I may have missed it. I'll just state the obvious again for everyone reading this thread....Steve's instructions could really use some more diagrams... And the parts that come in the kit should be identified so we know what to put where...

Lexinverts

Andy, I sent you two PMs. Let me know if that helps.

Thanks! Greg helped talk me into to plugging it in after it was all wired up, since I was terrified that I had something mis-wired. Fortunately, it worked like a charm when I plugged it in.

I started out with the lights at 50%, but then several of my Acroporas started sliming like crazy, so I backed it off to 30%. This makes me think that these lights are putting out more than twice as much as my stock hood was doing. It's going to take a while for me to work the power up to even 50% of their overall capacity.

Regarding the stock spectrum of Steve's LEDs: Overall the colors are nice. I think that my blues and greens look really nice--better than Reef Spec. But, the reds could look a little better. I was running the stock hood with RS Reef Spec with Actinic, 15000K BueWhite, and Pink bulbs before. I think Steve's could use a little more pink. If I get them for my other tank, I might customize the LED combination to look more like my Reef Spec arrangement.

I love the sunset and sunrise feature of the Typhon controller. Notwithstanding the headache and the stress of the installation, I'm fairly happy with the purchase, overall.

BTimmons

I am trying to connect my typhon to my new rsms650 retrofit kit. It's running the triple v7.0 driver. I see the switches that need to be in the off position. I have tried reading the instructions on their website but it is just not clicking. I have the premade extension cord. I don't know where to plug into the drivers.

BTimmons

I read the instructions on StevesLEDs this morning a few times and thought I had the right idea of how to hook this Typhon up to the Triple V7.0. I made sure the little DIP switches were in the off position. I plugged a positive wire into the DIM port of each driver and a negative wire into the G port of 2 drivers, 1 on each power supply. When I plugged in a driver the lights did not power on. I unplugged them very quickly. Now i suppose I need a tool to get these wires out.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
No, you shouldn't need a special tool to get the wires out.

-To disconnect the wire, insert a driver wire removal tool into the square hole below the wire completely, and then the wire should fall out with zero force. Available on the website or you can make one yourself using a small bobby pin that has the ends cut off.
-If you have any pressure on the wire before the removal tool is inserted, it will not release. First insert the tool, then remove the wire, not vice versa.

I used the bobby pin method, also a toothpick might work. The key is to not have any pressure on the wire at all. Insert the tool without touching the wire, once it is inserted, gently pull the wire out.

BTimmons

I found that. I rushed here in panic mode. I made the bobby pin tool, I filed it down and it worked fine. I got the typhon wires out. Now my leds wont turn on. Was the way I described connecting it correct? Will they not turn on now because i flipped those switches for the Typhon? I'm bugging out now

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Ok, so are you using the kit that connects using the stock timer? If so, is the timer on?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
When you turn it all on, is the green light on the power supply on?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Is the Typhon setup? Do you have dimmer switches? Are they fully CCW?

BTimmons

I went ahead and unplugged the Typhon with the bobby pin. I am hoping I didn't fry something. I tried both ways with the knobs. Do I need to move the DIP switches back to operate it without the Typhon or should the LEDs still come on?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
If you are not using the Typhon, the switches need to be in the ON position.

It seems like if the fans are spinning and the blue lights on the board are on everything is correct.

Is the Typhon programmed? Do you have dimmer switches? Are they fully CCW?