Stevedola's Redsea Max 250

stevedola

I have an original RSM 250 being gifted to me from my father. I wanted to upgrade to a couple hydra 26s and swap out the stock skimmer for a Tunze 9004 comline. Will the LEDs fit in the hood? Will the Skimmer fit in the filtration chamber of the older RSM250? I was also interested in installing an algae scrubber in the back filtration chamber...has anyone attempted this or have a DYI thread?

I have kept reef tanks since 1999 but due to family and life I had to take a break in 2015. Im very excited to get back into the hobby and want to have the very best opportunity for success for my SPS reef. Any insight or suggestions on my thoughts of improving the RSM250 are appreciated.

Pat24601

Hi!

I love the max 250! It's an awesome tank!

Unfortunately, I don't have answers to most of you questions.

I did a Steves leds retrofit for my C-250 and it works great, but I can't speak knowledgebly about hydras.

I once planned to do an algae scrubber and yes I thought one would fit in the back, but I never actually pulled the trigger and did it, so I can't say for certain I was right.

I bought one that seemed an appropriate size from @SantaMonica, but I never got around to installing it. ;)

Regardless, looking foreword to seeing your tank!

stevedola

Ive been researching algae scrubbers and have run across santamonicas design. the drop in is nice idea especially for a RSM but the price is insane (imo) for a small plastic box with a couple leds. Im going to figure out something and try to install in the media potion of the sump area. even if its just a small fuge instead.

thank you for commenting and your kind words. Thanks for having me at Reef sanctuary.

bap819

Hi!

I love the max 250! It's an awesome tank!

Unfortunately, I don't have answers to most of you questions.

I did a Steves leds retrofit for my C-250 and it works great, but I can't speak knowledgebly about hydras.

I once planned to do an algae scrubber and yes I thought one would fit in the back, but I never actually pulled the trigger and did it, so I can't say for certain I was right.

I bought one that seemed an appropriate size from @SantaMonica, but I never got around to installing it. ;)

Regardless, looking foreword to seeing your tank!
We too put in the Steve's LED kit and love it. Definitely worth it

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
+1 ^

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

stevedola

I was looking at the AI Hydra HD 26's at my lfs and I was impressed. Im leaning towards them based on the ease of use and implementation.

ookamii

I put a set of hydra 26's in. Was pretty simple. I got a piece of aluminum bar from Home Depot and bolted it in to the existing supports and bolted the lights to that.
. I find light is overall good but with the lights being so close to the water line the ends of the tank are shaded. Which I have a few ideas to fix that problem when I get a chance. If you look at my other posts I put pictures on how I did it.

I also find though the lights tend to run warm in the hood making similar heat to the t5's that used to be there but I kept one fan on each side and the back cooling fans intact. And depending on house temp I switch on or off those fans.

The after market media rack measures
* 21" Tall
* 4-1/2" Wide
* 3-1/2" Deep
so there is not allot of room in that chamber but if you get creative with some plexiglass I'm sure you can come up with something cheap.

DPal

Hi Steve, what did you ended up doing for the skimmer? I'm having issues with the stock skimmer as well and want to upgrade.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
@DPal

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

Stackhous

I put two hydras 26 in mine I just double faced taped them to the shield but they run hot. I kept the stock fans n they still ran hot. I had to cut two holes over the lights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk