Steved13's RSM 250

steved13

PREMIUM
Will let you know when it's set up. Any suggestions for additions with this system. I already ordered a digital refractometer. I'm thinking about a controller maybe the reefkeep lite or elite. I suppose if I add a controller, I lose that sweet 1 plug design though. Any suggestions?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Re: I ordered an RSM 250 should be in Friday

Welcome to the RSM Club steved13! The refractometer was a great idea. I'm not sure you need a controller just yet, unless you want a backup to keep a heater from cooking the tank, or pH monitoring, etc. As far as additions you'll find most will say to replace the RSM heater - too many of them fail.

Here's a 250 mod thread that may be helpful:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/47519-post-your-rsm-250-mods-here.html

steved13

PREMIUM

Thanks for the welcome folks. I saw the mod thread and have read quite abit of it. I was more interested in any suggestions as I'm not sure what most of those mods are for, and which are neccessary, or maybe a better description would be "great to haves". For instance should I be thinking about a refrugium right away.

If I change the heater do I lose the single plug design?

I was thinking about the controller for temperature control, and monitoring in the future. Also, I'd like to know if the temp rises, while I'm away. I'm not sure if I'll need a chiller, or can I just keep the home A/C a little lower. I thought a controller monitor will let me know.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Most just plug a new heater into the power center. If you plug it in a controller the one cord tank is gone. It seems like most 250 owners have gotten a chiller to keep the tank cool enough. I'm a 130 owner and I'll back down and let 250 owners jump in with suggestions. :)

clka

Welcome:) to a great place to visit and ask questions, lots of support to help you succeed! Re the heater, if its a similar setup to the 130D, it should not be a problem to change it and use the same plug the original would have used. I'm sure someone with a 250 will jump in and answer that.

Cheryl

redsea reefer

No, just replace the heater and plug it in the same place.

I have the 130 and none of the things you mentioned so I'm no help. Some people here with both size tanks do have those things so I'm sure you'll get some answers soon.

tnwillia

Hey Steve welcome to RS, a lot of the mods are nice to have. IMHO the heater is the first to go for something safe. Depending on where you are a chill may be next thing you need.

I'd suggest running it stock as long as you can at first, that gives you time to get through your cycle and inital set ups and some aging on the tank. You can address the problems if you have any as the pop up over time. Have fun with it!

Dweezil

Welcome to RS and congratulations on the tank!

kenbut

G'day from down under.
I would change the heater over too, as mine failed. Apart from that just sit back and enjoy your tank as supplied. As you become more knowledgable you will be able to make decisions on what if anything you need to add, it depends on what you intend to keep.
Take your time, be patient and enjoy>
Ken

steved13

PREMIUM

Thanks, I'll get a better heater right away. DOH!!! I was thinking they used a proprietary type plug. Now that I see, that its a standard plug, I realize you must have thought "what a dumb question".

imaccat

Hi and welcome,

Congrats on your tank and there are no dumb questions, it's just dumb not to ask them!!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

there are no dumb questions, it's just dumb not to ask them!!

+1
009.gif

steved13

PREMIUM

I picked up my RSM 250 today and put it together. I have a left over piece that I don't know what it is. It's a small basket, about 3/4 inch in diameter and 2 1/2 inches long. Anyone know what it is? I tried to attach a picture but I can't get the file small enough.

imaccat

Steve,

Sounds like the attachment from the skimmer pump intake, it prevents anything large e.g. a snail getting into the pump.

steved13

PREMIUM

Thanks, That's what it is. Speaking of the skimmer...The air control only turns about a quarter turn, is that right? Doesn't seem like much control.