starting to get alage

paulydee

hi i started my tank beginning of last month.now i am starting to get algae .my nitrate is at 8 ppm.is this normal.
my last tank i had hair algae smothered my corals.
thanks

mr_tap_water

Hi there
Nitrate of 8 is ok as for your hair algae there could be a number of reasons usually to do with higher phos readings along with nutrients building up,
also lighting contribute towards it too i.e. The wrong spectrum or too long a period.

So do you test for phos do you do water changes how big is your tank what type of lighting do you use a protein skimmer what do you use for circulation how many fish do you have I could go on and on really you need to give us a more in-depth on how are your system runs and how big it is you get more of an idea,

In the meantime IMO The simplest route to reducing hair algae without chemicals is to start stripping it out by hand and increase water charges making sure your fresh water is three of No3 and Phos before adding to your system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulydee

this no tank doesn't have hair algae as yet. it does have algae it is just bingeing .my tank is a 50 gallon .i have 4 fish in it . i use ro di water.my light cycle is 6 hours a day on.i have been watching the amount of frozen food i put in it. i do a 15 gallon water change weekly. i will check phos later. thanks

mr_tap_water

this no tank doesn't have hair algae as yet. it does have algae it is just bingeing .my tank is a 50 gallon .i have 4 fish in it . i use ro di water.my light cycle is 6 hours a day on.i have been watching the amount of frozen food i put in it. i do a 15 gallon water change weekly. i will check phos later. thanks
Sorry miss read it if it's just the No3 you're worried about 8 is perfectly fine IMO and being that your tank is only a month old The good bacteria are still establishing their self, and if you have no SPSs you could even go as far as 25 NO3 without causing problems and with fish only even higher ,but if you're not happy with that level you The first thing is to try is either cut down on feeding increase your water charges invest in a protein skimmer or even try a type of carbon dosing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk