starting a new reef, again.

jay webb

After a 10 year hiatus from the reef, I'm back into it for about 5 months. I still have some cycling to do on the live rock and am feeding the crabs and snails all of the algae they could want. Just a few small fish to add some life to it. My biggest concern is the water that I make up for water changes. The saltwater test kit and hydrometer seems right on target. I make up about 20 gals of water in a grey brute trash can with my R/O filtered water and use neutralizer, essential elements, and an air stone to help age the water for a week prior to change out. Previously, I bought water, but economics don't permit that, anymore. I have an algae that seems to be growing along the water line in the brute and there seems to be some undissolved salts in the bottom. So:
1. How long should I let water "age" in the brute?
2. Anyone have a past with salts coming out of solution?
3. What is the scum or debris along the water line?

StirCrayzy

What salt mix are you using? Is the brute sitting in direct sunlight?

I dont see the need to let water mix longer than 24-48 hrs.
Suggezt you test your TDS make sure RO is coming out good.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

two good :read:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...7-how-make-safe-water-change-marine-fish.html

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/34037-what-water-quality.html

jay webb

I'm using Instant Ocean and the container is not in sunlight. It's in the garage. I let the water age a bit to be sure it's aerated prior to water changes. Perhaps I don't need to let it aerate more than a few hours. I'm using a new Brute container that I cleaned very well. I'm concerned that the container may be disentergrating and contaminating the water. The container is only a few weeks old and doesn't show any signes of deteriorating. I change about 20 Gals in the 90 gal tank weekly.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I toss in a powerhead n mix for 30 minutes n I'm ready to add to tank.

.............I'm feeling salty.

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
I'm using Instant Ocean and the container is not in sunlight. It's in the garage. I let the water age a bit to be sure it's aerated prior to water changes. Perhaps I don't need to let it aerate more than a few hours. I'm using a new Brute container that I cleaned very well. I'm concerned that the container may be disentergrating and contaminating the water. The container is only a few weeks old and doesn't show any signes of deteriorating. I change about 20 Gals in the 90 gal tank weekly.

The container is fine I use one as do most of us. I let my salt mix for 24 to 48 hours before using it, probably over kill

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I think the post about checking your TDS is step one.....make sure your water is clean before you mix it. I usually go over night with a powerhead in the bucket....line up the temp and switch it out. You mention you have RO water, not RO/DI which would suggest the possibility of a higher TDS. Also, how old are the filters in the RO unit?

All the above would help sort through your algae problem. What kind of rock do you have?

reefrunner

Contributing Member
As a fellow hobbyist that is getting back into it after many years...welcome back. I think it's funny many things have changed and many things are just the same. I used to work in in an aquarium shop and I do not believe I have ever seen instant ocean mix clear. There is always some precipitate. The salt mix I have seen mix clear the most consistently is reef crystals. I am personally using Red Sea coral pro salt, with mixed results. I think no matter what salt you use it is key to make sure it is mixed well while it's still dry, if it is not mixed properly it will always mix cloudy. There is no need to mix it for more than 24 hours. Good luck.

jay webb

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. Yep, things are a bit different from a few years back. Instead of using cured rock, I opted for 100lbs of fresh harvested Fiji rock. Its taking a bit longer than I wanted, but its coming around. I'll try a different salt mix and see what happens. My avg. is 1.022 and all else is good. I'll keep reading and let the forum know.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
If going with a reef, shoot for a salinity if 1.025-1.026

Good luck!