Star Polyps, Possible issue?

Slickcg33

Hey guys I need your advice. Recently my potters angle had a very large soar on his side. I figured it was from fighting or rubbing up against a rock. But just to be safe I dosed the tank with Rally for 3 days without skimmer and carbon in the tank like the instructions say. It has gone away as of today(his soar).

Yesterday was the first day I put the carbon and skimmer back on and the star polyps didn't come out. They aren't coming out today either. Ive had them for about 3 months now and they've been very healthy up until today. Everything else in the tank is doing fine. Fish are perky and other corals look healthy and are coming out like normal.

Lighting on the tank is a 250w mh pendant, its a 34gal solana.
Parameters:
Temp: 79-81
ph 8.2 API/Hagen
Sal 1.0245 Sybon refractometer
Nitrites:0 API
Nitrates:20-25 API
Ammonia: 0 API
Kh: 8.4 dH or 150 mg/L Hagen
Calcium: 420 Hagen
Phosphates: 0.5 maybe 1.0(cant see a difference in color between the 2) Hagen
Iodine: .08 mg/l Seachem
DSCN0601.jpg

DSCN0595.jpg

DSCN0597.jpg

DSCN0598.jpg

Any ideas?

thats no good i think you might have made hem mad when i got mine they didnt open up for like three days and i about tossed them i thought they were dead but there opened now. one question how big do yours open up to mine dont get big really there small

yah mine when there open there not to big but there open you can see them but i mean wheni moved mine from one side of my tank to the other they didnt open up at all took about a day for them to come out and theres nothing pickin on them ither i have yellow polyps, my star polyps, kenya tree, neon green candy cane, valentini puffer, cinn. clown goby, astrea snail.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
As a general rule you should never, ever treat for fish diseases in your main reef, just for this reason, regardless of the manufacturers claim that it's a reef safe product. Sick fish should be removed and placed into a hospital tank for treatment.

I hope your GSPs come around. All the best!

lcstorc

GSP is strange. Give it time and it may well come back. Then again. Mine disappeared for no reason that I could find. As long as the purple mat is intact I would say there is a chance.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
So in this study the Xenia specimen in the test tank that used Rally expired on the ninth day. Then one should conclude that Rally is not reef safe? I think what is safe to conclude is, that if the GSPs were open prior to the Rally usage and then closed after its usage, then the Rally is responsible.

Slickcg33

As a general rule you should never, ever treat for fish diseases in your main reef, just for this reason, regardless of the manufacturers claim that it's a reef safe product. Sick fish should be removed and placed into a hospital tank for treatment.

I hope your GSPs come around. All the best!

This will be my general rule from now on. I figured reef safe ment reef safe... silly me lol.
I should spend 10 Grand suing Rally for 60 dollars worth of star polys would you agree, lol?
Thanks for the info guys, hope they survive, as well as everything else...

As invasive as they are, Xenia and GSP seem to be very sensitive to chemicals. Give them some time (about a week) to come back.
Have you done a water change after treatment?

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
I think that was nicely done Steve :) However, you did not list the ingredients of the meds.

miaskies

GSP are really sensitive to any change in the tank. When I first got mine, they would'nt open for days and now they are always out and looking good. I think they are fussy and very sensitive to any change at all. I don't think I would dump any chemical in my tank that is not a good additive like calcium, etc. That bottle you used looks old, how old is that stuff? They also like a lot of light.

Reddog170

My gsps did not open for about three days after my star knocked them , and there rock over. I would wait and see if they come back. May have some residue on them and just needs to alow itself to clean off before they open again. Best of luck, Shaun