SPS lighting?

jubbers

i want to get SPS corals and i heard VHO's are a good MH alternative is this true:"VHO - Very High Output: VHO looks just like your regular standard bulbs, except with the use of special Electronic Ballasts, they can put out more wattage. An example, standard 48" bulb is 40 watts 48" VHO bulb is 110 watts. VHO has been around for many years and they have more VHO bulbs in more spectrums than any other type of lighting. This means you have a wide array of bulb choices. VHO is powerful enough to keep any coral or clam. It does not penetrate the water as well as halide, so it's best used for soft coral tanks up to 30" deep, hard coral tanks up to 24" and SPS and clams should be within 18" or less from the light. These are basic guidelines and can be broken. We personally feel VHO has the nicest look with Soft corals and LPS corals, and believe these types of corals thrive the best under VHO."-PremiumAqautics(our sponsor) it says it would be good for any coral or clam so SPS would be good? would you reccomend?

flricordia

I have never heard that and wouldn't think it true. Mind you if you maybe put enough for 10wt+ per gallon you could keep some sps, but I think the rule of thumb is sps=MH lighting. I personally have never tryed it though. I use dto use VHO and then PC but since going MH I will never go back. Colors of corals are so much better, get a shimmer effect and there is no question as to what I can keep whether clam or sps. I was afraids of the cost of MH before I got into MH, but by the time you invest in VHO bulbs, ballasts, endcaps Mh isn't any more and yet delivers so much more.
As far as VHO putting out more spectrum of lighting, that is a not correct. With MH you can go anywhere from 5500k to 20000k and with the range above 14000k you don't need actinic.
Also with VHO expect to replace them every 8-10 months. A good MH bulb will last 12-14 months. A single, good 400wt 15K MH with correct reflector will do the work of 2 actinic white and 2 actinc 03 VHO 4 footers.
Personally though, I wouldn't expect to keep clams and most sps under VHO for long term. JMO.

jubbers

can you guys help me find a good lighting system under $300 for SPS to grow and thrive wether it is MH,PC, or T5's please?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
i want to get SPS corals and i heard VHO's are a good MH alternative is this true

No !
There's really no comparison between the two. Could you keep SPS with VHO's ? Yes you could keep some of the hardier Montiporas and deeper water acro's but you certainly wouldn't get the color you get with MH's. If you can't get the MH then I would agree with Jack and consider T5's with the Icecap ballast or even the LED lighting system although the latter will be much more expensive in upfront costs.

jubbers

the led's are expensive! i will find some MH! can you help me find a MH system under $300?(tank is 18" deep)

jubbers

i do not have a canopy but i sure could make one. if possible i would like to a pendant or two(under$300)

reefman420

go to an electric store.order a ballast.comes with ignitor ,cap,and mounting brackets.get a mogule,high temp wire,and boom u have a retro kit.also try aquatraders.or ebay

panmanmatt

In order for T5's to be able to support SPS, the bulbs need to have individual reflectors. So 8nless they changed the design on the Nova fixtures they aren't going to cut it. All the Novas I've seen have had 1 large reflector for all the bulbs.

You also have to chose the right bulbs for the job too. Not all T5 bulbs have the same PAR rating so not every bulb will support light demanding corals.

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
I would have to say I disagree on that I have many tanks with SPS & use the Nova fixture & they thrieve now depth of the tank will play a large factor in it however I have even do retro kits with one large reflector & 700+ watts of T5's everything including clams thrived

panmanmatt

Well you definitely won't put 700 watts of T5 on 55 gallon tank.

I agree, tank depth plays a big role, and with the dimensions of a 55 I would opt for the individual reflectors. The tank is only 13 inches front to back so that doesn't allow a lot of room for lighting. The individual reflectors will allow you to use less bulbs thus taking up less space.

The fixture you have linked to is 14 inches wide so it is larger than the tank is.