SPS ID please..

I got this a while back.. it was sold to me as a "white Mille" can anyone correctly ID this for me
IMGP2979.jpg

ReefLady

Staff member
sold to me as a "white Mille"

Mille probably = Acropora Millepora. Millepora's tend to be very "fuzzy" (a lot of polyp extension), so could be it. Real hard to ID Acros.

mps9506

Id'ing down to the species level is pretty much a guessing game, it can be fun though. To get a better idea of an identification you need to have photos of the coral with the polyps retracted to get and idea of the polyp structure.
This ID site can be fun to use:
Acropora Identification
Reef Frontiers has a pretty large database of pictures that can be used to id also, the accuracy of those pictures is about as accurate as you can get id'ing corals at the hobby level.
Acropora - Reef Frontiers Coral ID Reference
Don't stress species identification to much.
That said, do you have that acro mounted on a rock or is it plugged in the sand like the bottom pics? I would definitely mount it on a rock if it is in the sand.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Great links Mike!!! Now I see I have some WORK to do tonight when I Get home on CORAL ID :)

mps9506

Great links Mike!!! Now I see I have some WORK to do tonight when I Get home on CORAL ID :)

I want to stress the fact that identifying most corals, especially acros is not something hobbyists can do accurately. Hell, most scientists can't do it.

I do think it is important for reef hobbyists to know that different structures on a coral and different identifying growth characteristics. I don't think the typical reefkeeper could tell you what the different corallite shapes or colony shapes are. Whereas most plant enthusiasts probably could tell you a bit more about the structure of plants...

BigJay

I want to stress the fact that identifying most corals, especially acros is not something hobbyists can do accurately. Hell, most scientists can't do it.

Its actually something most pro's laugh about. So many things can influence growth and SPS have a wonderful ability to morph (ie the sps in your tank may look completely different in my tank). Flow, nutrients, lighting intensity , competition etc etc can influence the growth patterns, polyp extension and coloration greatly. Didn't Boomer just put up a ton of links recently discussing this? I meant to go back and read them myself but forgot... off to find the link.

i think sara got it.. that looks like the exact shape of the base and polyps. mines a bit more cream/light green color. i went back into some old e-mails and found out it was sold to me as a "deep water white mille" ill try and get my roommate to let me use his camera so i can take some decent macros of it.

so at this point do i just call it a "light green bottlebrush acro"

Frankie

RS STAFF
Hard one to identify. I think you need to send it to me so I can color it up some for you though :)

Hard one to identify. I think you need to send it to me so I can color it up some for you though :)

haha its colored up as much as possible..its under a 70w MH.. when i got it it was more tan/cream and now its a light greeen color.. i've already fragged it once to a local reefer, so ill see how that frag reacts to his tank.