Spray painting a flex pipe a bad idea or what help

Basile

ok well i saw guys in a store who painted their pvc plumbing black with plastic paint and said it was safe they'd used it before and they gave me the brand and it worked fine on mine as well. I had a flex tubing that i have going from one thank to another that was white and didn't really match so i painted it. However if the pvc dried the flex is totally sticky; some say its the primer, anyway lots of theories, anybody have an answer on how to fix this. I've already tried vinegar like some have suggest no effect if only to remove part of the paint actually.
Thanks for your suggestion guys.

Willie McDaries

I don't know how to remove the paint but I did try painting some myself and it wouldn't dry either, I ended up cutting it out and replacing it, something about the chemicals in the paint just don't work well with spa-flex PVC

aaromano

You really can't paint that flexible tubing. It isn't like rubber its more like plastic thats been dissolved, you know that shower curtain smell. In order to make the tubing flexible it gets compounded with chemicals called plasticizers. These are really just extremely slow evaporating solvents think paint thinner that takes ten years to evaporate instead of ten minutes . So what happens is since the tubing is already soluble in solvent the paint dissolves the tubing even more and they combine to make a gooey sticky mess.

Basile

Got the solution

Well now i've been told to use either plastic DIP or Flex Seal which i bought at Loews. Its flexible , wont crak and waterproof.

Re: Got the solution

I couldn't understand your original post properly.

You need a good primer and then one of the range from Mythic paints would have done it. Mythic is readily available in the States unlike here in England.