Specific gravity

Couch

Does anyone know why I can not seem to get my SG above 1.022? When I first set up the tank I kept adding 1/2 cup of salt at a time (after it was at 1.022) and it just does not seem to want to go any higher. Any thoughts on this? Also what would you reccomend the SG to be at?

Charlie97L

1.023-1.025 seems to be what most run their tanks at around here.

what size tank do you have?

most salt mixes will instruct 1/2 cup per gallon, and the end result will be a SG of 1.023.

the easiest way to raise SG is to top off your tank with saltwater at the normal 1.023, instead of freshwater/rodi. using the 1.023 will ensure the SG is raised slowly enough to not cause problems, vs. topping off with water that has really high SG.

Couch

I have a 55 gallon tank with a 29 gallon sump(only running about 15 gallons of water in it. I will try to up the SG as you recommended. Thanks. Before I had any thing in the tank I would just thow an extra 1/2 cup of Instant ocean in the sump, in the return pump area. That was not working to get it up to 1.023.

Warnberg

charlie97 is correct however........STOP adding salt.

What are you using to measure your salinity? If you are still adding salt and the salinity is not going up I would suspect the measuring device.

If it's a swing arm type, take it outside and throw it as far as you can. I have seen several times where someone will use the swingarm type meter and trash their tank. Go invest in a refractometer if you do not already have one.

blue_eyes53813

Warnberg said:
STOP adding salt.

What are you using to measure your salinity? If you are still adding salt and the salinity is not going up I would suspect the measuring device.

If it's a swing arm type, take it outside and throw it as far as you can. I have seen several times where someone will use the swingarm type meter and trash their tank. Go invest in a refractometer if you do not already have one.

I agree 100%.. becarefull just dumping salt into the sump... should be premixed 24 hours before...The swing arm type are all terrible... They need to be rinsed with freshwater before every use and are very inaccurate. They get weighed down with salt and I bet your tank is higher than it should be.. try to find someone with a refractometer( or buy one yourself.)

Couch

I only attemted adding salt 3 times in 1/2 cup intervals before there was livestock, and nothing afterwards. Yes I do have a swing arm, I did not know I had to rinse it with fresh water. Refractometer it is then. Thanks guys, this peice of info can and will probably save me hundreds of dollars later. Thank you.

Couch

I have one coming, it will be here in 5-7 days. I am looking forward to comparing the readings from the refractometer and the swing arm. Thanks again for your experienced suggestions.

music man

I run fish only set up at 1.016-1.018 it realy seems to reduce stress on the fish. in a reef that does not apply since all the worlds oceans with few exceptions eg. dead sea (not including unnatural polutants) have basically the same chemistry and SG at 1.025 most of the more delicate reef specimines require a SG of atleast 1.020 minimum and prefer the more natural 1.024-1.025

back to your problem; I think your measuring equipment should be suspect. fact is the salt is being added so the SG is definitly going up, your equipment just isn't measuring it accuratly. the moving parts in some tools will "gum" up sometimes, for example.

ease off on the salt until you get another opinion, like a new tool. your SG could be at 1.030 or higher, plus the salt takes time to disolve in the water and dissapapate so it will register on a tool.
I see above your getting a refractometer, you can obtain a good quality one at most pet stores for under $10 those are the most accurate since theres no moving parts. don't get a plastic one it's tempting sometimes to get a fancy plastic "doodad" but you realy don't need it. the simple glass unit works the best. no beads no arms or anything.

Jorgens

A little gadget i use to dbl check my swing meter is a homebrew device. It's more of a floatie in the water type but 2 measurments can ensure that they are both working. If both are very different...then one is wrong. Just need to find out which.

Of course that refractometer sounds nice too....

Couch

Thanks everyone, Here is the one I am getting http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=9957&N=2004+113761 I did not know that the LFS might have one for $10 did not even occur to me since it seems they mark their prices up 175% from online stores. I am exicited to see what a POS this swing arm is. I am a little dissapointed because the swing arm I bought even has a calibration date on it. (In my feild of work this means alot). Things brand new... 3 weeks old... It is a deep six coral life... Not happy about this, but a cool new gadget is always cool.

cioutlaw

I have the same one you ordered & it works great & I dont think you could buy one in an LFS for $10...think they were talking about something else like a floating hydrometer or something. The arm ones do suck...I have 3 sitting around & anyone that needs a demonstration I fill em up & show 3 different #s!!!!

Couch

Well who woulda thought, I got my refractometer today, made sure it was zero'ed and took my reading @ 1.025 SG. Just for fun I took a reading with my calibrated swing arm and got a reading of 1.020. I took your advice, walked out on the back porch and threw that swing arm POS as for as I could. Thanks everyone.

Warnberg

YEAH..... glad we could help.... use that refractometer, it will come in very handy when you have to QT a fish and treat with hyposalinity....

By the way, quite an arm you have there... I think the swingarm hit the side of my house.... hahahaha