South Florida RSM 250

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Normally you are trying to reduce nitrates & want this 1st change to be 30%, then 10-15% weekly - after the 1st water change I would say you could add cuc, 1st coral & 1st fish... waiting a day might be good idea...

sneakerhead

I'm seeing a lot of different options for cuc on websites and I'm not sure what I need. Can you guys please advise on what to get?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I'm seeing a lot of different options for cuc on websites and I'm not sure what I need. Can you guys please advise on what to get?

Crabs eat snails - so no crabs here... love snails for cuc - Reef Cleaners is a great company & John the owners is a RS members & Sponsor - highly recommended by lost & lots of RS members

ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Quick Crew (65 Gallon)

If you live in the states... not sure of your Location:

sneakerhead

Thanks for the link! I live in Florida btw, I ordered the cuc from John and will get it mid next week I believe.

I didn't change water yet but I will change about 10-15gal today, my pH is at 8.0 and my nitrates/nitrites/ammonia are all at 0
Am I changing enough water for the first time or not since my Nitrates are already at 0?

During my cycle, I left the lights off for the most part but not I will be setting up my timers so they can operate normally.
How long do you guys keep them on? and then off?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Am I changing enough water for the first time or not since my Nitrates are already at 0?

What everyone else think about this... ??? Confusing to me why you would have zero nitrates

I wonder if the tank cycled when I read this... but the LR looks real alive & he said after it was added, he saw the ammonia soar, it should have convert to nitrites & then nitrates? I am wondering about the test...

Are you running any chemical filtration?

sneakerhead

Seems like everyone keeps the lights on for 8-10 hours, I will start doing same but the yellow algae or whatever it is seems to grow faster under light. When I had lights on most of the time, the growth was on hold.

Here is some background info about tank, the rocks I used were bought from a local and they were cured. I added some more sand in my tank so I have 80lb of sand in my tank but this was done a few days after I set up my rsm. I did see spiked nitrates/nitrites and I took my water to LFS some days later to get checked and everything checked out fine which was shocking since the day before nitrates/nitrites were at really high levels. I double checked and tested several times at the house but got the same results.
I am not running any chemical filtration, I do intend to add CPE and purigen soon though
I used MicroBacter7 for couple of days as well, it was recommended by LFS when I first got my water tested there few days after startup

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I used MicroBacter7 for couple of days as well, it was recommended by LFS

this may be the answer to my question of why no nitrates...

MicroBacter7 - a complex system of non-pathogenic aerobic and anaerobic microbes, as well as natural enzymes, specifically formulated to establish biological filtration in new aquarium set-ups, and to enhance the rate of nitrification, denitrification, and organic waste degradation in marine and freshwater aquaria through complete nutrient remineralization.
Benefits are:

1. Rapid reduction of organic carbon, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and phosphate.

sneakerhead

Finally added clean up crew few days ago with a coral banded shrimp.
I add RO water daily to top off but after a few hours, the skimmer cup gets full and the skimmer needs adjustments. It is giving me some troubles but I am not giving up, I will keep trying to tune it. I am adding RO water daily to top off but after a few hours, the skimmer cup gets full and the skimmer needs adjustments.
Here are some pics I took, colors are a little off because off white balance.
One more question regarding flow. As you can see in the last few pics, the sand at the back side of the tank barely gets any flow and there is a lot of debris there, what can be done about it?

9.jpg

8.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

3.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Looks like normal new tank brown algae and you will see more of it I am guessing - could add Vortech for additional flow

sneakerhead

Just added a pair of clownfish yesterday and added Xenia and GSP frags last week.
Cant control the temperatures though, I am still on high 85s with lights on and low 83s with them off. My water level is fine all the time and my house temp is 76, I cant afford a chiller yet so I dont know :(

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Lots of corals & fish can thrive at 85 though getting up there... - are you running your rear fans all the time ?

Here a :read: that will encourage you Ron Shimek's Website...Critters

Temperature and Salinity in Maintaining Coral Reef Aquarium Animals.

By

Ronald L. Shimek, Ph. D.

The most rapid growth of most corals is generally around 27°C to 29°C (80.6°F to 84.2°F)

imaccat

Just added a pair of clownfish yesterday and added Xenia and GSP frags last week.
Cant control the temperatures though, I am still on high 85s with lights on and low 83s with them off. My water level is fine all the time and my house temp is 76, I cant afford a chiller yet so I dont know :(

Do you have the surface cooling fans on?

jim891217

don't worry, 85 degree during cycling wont hurt anything and it will speed up the cycling process..
my room temperature is 74 and i had no problem with keeping my tank running at 77 degree with cooling fans on...

sneakerhead

Thanks for the link nanoreef, I am a little less worried now about temperatures now

I am still facing little problems with adjusting the skimmer, had it fill up on me many times.
I replaced one of the Carbon bags with Cpe 11oz and will add another one at end of month. I also removed the polishing filter and used cut to fit pads to replace it.
I noticed minor growth of green algae mostly on rocks on top getting most exposure of light, should I be worried?

Those are haitian/Caribbean rocks, I made a mistake of not cleaning them before putting them in for the first time so now I will take them apart one by one on water changing days and clean them. A lot of my rocks have big white patches with hard surface, should I remove it if it is removable when cleaning?

sneakerhead

recent pics I took

Snail pushed Xenia off the rock at night and it felt on sand and the snails were all over it when I grabbed this, there is a tiny starfish on there too!
IMG_9860.jpg

Found it again luckily, never thought I would see the tiny creature again
IMG_9863-1.jpg

sdsdsd.jpg

Attachments

• sdsdsdsd.jpg
    sdsdsdsd.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 39

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF