Sonic's Adventures

Frankie

RS STAFF
Sounds like a score of a B day :) Now plan right and research before you buy anything~

sonicfish

yea im waiting for my tank to stable so i can get frags also with my fish stock could i have another three clownfish i love them they are so cute

lcstorc

I would hold off on adding anything until you are absolutely sure things are fine and have been for quite a while. I know it is hard to wait but we do it a lot in this hobby.

sonicfish

sorry havent been on latly got grounded for getting a detion which i went to and the teacher said i didnt get one so im a little mad and tank not so good every thing that could go bad is one my ro di machine broke no pet store sells it so im still waiting for it to get repared should be gettting it back late tommorow

sonicfish

im trying my hardest its like everything that could go wrong is and i losing faith in my ability to do a big reef right probaly too many mistakes i made my first reef is doing great even have a piece of monipora cap growing but this tank is not doing good at all

Frankie

RS STAFF
I am going to be straight up here buddy, I went back to page one and looked at that rock again. Your not going to see any improvements as long as you have that rock. It is just dead. That is my take on this system. If it was me I would pull all that rock out, put it in a clean garbage pail with a heater and cover it up for a few months to cook it. In the mean time I would have some fun and go fish only with a few predators. I hate to tell you this but from your posts about this system your going to end up depressed over it and get out of the hobby. I have seen it time and again. What do you think of this idea?

sonicfish

Okay i understand what you are telling and i repect but the main thing is what do i do with the corals i have right now and what about my filtration the bio wheel has been sold so that takes that out im just dont know what to do im going to try to do a water change and fix it but to be honest before ro di unit broke i was differently seeing improvements in the rock and corals and well everything exept the fact of nitrates and another thing my whole fishy career i have been battling nitrates if any thing gets me out of this hobby it would be them but hopefully i will not get out but the dark green algae is starting to take a little more controll but i can handle that its lost more property than it can gain,oh and sorry about all the typing :)

Frankie

RS STAFF
You don't need to change your current filtration for a FO system. I am only recommending removing the rock and cooking it for few months. How much coral do you have now? It's not a full blown reef the last I remember. Just trade them in for some store credit for a while until you get things under control. It's not the end of the world and I am not saying it isn't possible to keep going the way you have been. It is just going to take a lot longer then I think your willing to suffer the way you are now. Cooking the rock will cut your time in half. You will be able to lower the salinity, dim the lights and get your water parameters under control. It's a win win imo.

sonicfish

alrigt i am tired of looking at the algae i am goin to do a 10 % water change and scrub the rocks free of all that algae and siphon it tell me if this is a good idea so far i have only done it to one rock and im going to reorganize all the rocks the one i did it to it is covor 60% in corraline after i cleaned it am i doing the right thing.

sonicfish

ill have pics on wednesday tank a little bit of a mess but i think i fix the problem hopefully all good news now ill have readings when i have pics

Frankie

RS STAFF
Looking forward to it! I am glad we had that talk in PM. Now that I know a few more things we should be able to move forward hopefully. I am still questioning the rock but lets see what happens now that the ditirus is cleaned up. Try and run carbon strong while it is clearing up to prevent any discoloration of the water.

sonicfish

alright oh i forgot to mention i had the lights off so i didnt know where the good algae was and the bad was so i kinda of did everything backwards so everything that was covered up is showing is that a bad thing and the star polyps in there location they are saying thank you kyle :)

sonicfish

004-2.jpg

003-3.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
One thing I think you need to work on heavier water changes. I see where you were told
If you think about it, reducing nutrients via water changes can be difficult pending the size of your set up. If you have a 100 gallon tank and change 50 gallons of water, in theory, you reduce your nitrates from 100 to 50. A 10% water change is barely keeping up with the rate that nitrates are being produced, based on your post. If this is a new set up, the nitrates should begin to drop naturally, unless the rock and sand is saturated.

Otherwise, I would plan to start doing 25% or greater water changes 1-2X per week (a smaller tank will make this easier). You can also run nitrate binding media in a reactor or holding chamber that forces water through it at a low volume.

Ok you have a large tank so large water changes are going to be a challenge but that's the ONLY way to remove the nitrates that are currently IN your system. Your nitrate reduction rate is directly proportional to percentage of water change. 10% water change will give you 10% nitrate reduction. That's not NEAR enough. You need to get aggressive with water changes in addition to your cleaning routine.

Also I like this suggestion here
You may want to take some of your water to an LFS or fellow reefer to have them verify your reading.

I'd get the results verified but another source just to make sure. :)

Frankie

RS STAFF
That skimmer is not functioning properly. You need to lower the water in it and let the foam build up. Tell me how it is fed air?