Something on my Zoa coral!!

robotman

Just added this Zoa in yesterday when i was starting corals but I have no idea what this was when i looked
it looks like an ane of some sort

week6id_zps0edaa63f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

jerry26

does look like some sort of anemone. unfortunately, i do not know what it is. good luck and ill bump ya to the top.

scubaguy

I would dip it in coral rx to get rid of the pest. That's what I would do to any coral before putting it into my aquarium. If it does come back it's because it's originating from your live rock.

theplantman

If you can get a better pic, that would be great. It may be a plate coral tree. I had one in my old set up in a zoa colony I bought. The zoas are growing on an old plate coral and the plate keeps popping out babies which will eventually drop off to become full adults. Mine used to produce 2 or 3 at a time.

Does it look like this?

zoo16767lrg.jpg

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
If you can get a better pic, that would be great. It may be a plate coral tree. I had one in my old set up in a zoa colony I bought. The zoas are growing on an old plate coral and the plate keeps popping out babies which will eventually drop off to become full adults. Mine used to produce 2 or 3 at a time.

Does it look like this?

zoo16767lrg.jpg

That's a cool picture! What do you do in a situation like that? I have both plate corals and zoas and I like them BOTH but I can't imagine them co-existing like that. Would like to know more about plate corals, interesting!
Maybe Robotman will UPdate :)

theplantman

I left them alone, they got along very peaceably and the small plates would drop off to the sand bed when they got to be about 1" across. When I bought my piece for the old setup, the plates were not there. After about 2 months the first one popped up and I thought it was some kind of majano, and so did a lot of other people. Everyone said kill it, I liked it and left it alone and after about a month, it started taking shape and I found another reefer that had one as well. They helped me with the ID. These seem to be pretty rare, other than the one I had, I have only seen two others on the forums.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I left them alone, they got along very peaceably and the small plates would drop off to the sand bed when they got to be about 1" across. When I bought my piece for the old setup, the plates were not there. After about 2 months the first one popped up and I thought it was some kind of majano, and so did a lot of other people. Everyone said kill it, I liked it and left it alone and after about a month, it started taking shape and I found another reefer that had one as well. They helped me with the ID. These seem to be pretty rare, other than the one I had, I have only seen two others on the forums.
If you still have it, I'd LOVE to see a picture :D

theplantman

Unfortunately, that was in my old setup and I gave the piece away when I had to tear down the tank to go to Oklahoma. I will see if I can find an old pic with it in it.

theplantman

Me too Mike, I was looking at his photo and saw the white variegations in the center and I almost made the mistake of killing my baby fungia because it looked so much like an anemone. The white striping led me away from aptasia. The ops pic is a little dark, its hard to tell if the thing is brown or there is some green coming out in it. A better pic would be helpful if the op can get it.

Mike Johnson

Me too Mike, I was looking at his photo and saw the white variegations in the center and I almost made the mistake of killing my baby fungia because it looked so much like an anemone. The white striping led me away from aptasia. The ops pic is a little dark, its hard to tell if the thing is brown or there is some green coming out in it. A better pic would be helpful if the op can get it.

Okay, again, I agree with everything you've posted. The white strips kind of make me wonder too.

theplantman

Robotman,

a telltale sign would be if it has tentacles coming from the central area of the disc, even young fungia plates have these, an aptasia will not, they will only have tentacles around the rim

AC273

I had/have the same thing with a Zoa colony. I got worried about it and pried it off though, and inadvertently broke it in half. I felt really bad and went total mother hen on it and both halves healed and have grown. It isn't quite round anymore, but the two are getting back to being round. They look exactly like what you have in your pics.

robotman

sorry about thte late post, no one responded much so i was always on reefcentral, got a positive id, fungia plate coral, really cool because i bought a huge long tentacle plate coral. tank has been running for 11 weeks now and is doing great!

week10_zpsf67989da.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Mike Johnson

The rest of the story. Thanks for the update. It was identified first, correctly, by plantman here at Reef Sanctuary!