Soft Leathers and Colts with Clams?

MotoReef

Hello, I have a 110 gallon reef tank with 25 gallon sump with predominantly protein skimmer doing all the filtration. My water parameters matches pretty much the same as what is recommended by the initial thread here on the recommended levels as follows:

#1 Calcium 380-450 ppm
#2 Salinity 1.024-1.026
#3 Alkalinity 2.5-4 meq/L
7-11 dKH
125-200 ppm CaCO3 equivalents
#4 Ph 8.1-8.4
#5 Magnesium 1250-1350 ppm
#6 Temp 78-82 deg F
#7 Nitrates 0
#8 Nitrites 0
#9 Phosphate < 0.03 ppm
#10 Ammonia <0.1 ppm

Only variable really being calcium levels fluctuation between additions at 350-480. Slighty wider variance than what's recommended and kept in check mostly within the parameters.

The tank is lit by two 150w Halide 14,000K bulbs at about 8" above water surface which penetrate the water column well to the bottom of 24" tall water.

My question:

The tank is predominantly soft corals of the simple colts, leathers and trees with healthy growth of all of them. I do have various mushroom corals and random growths of small frags of Xenia and one large bubble coral being the only LPS.

With knowlege of these soft corals sometimes emitting chemicals and enzymes into the water, I have not really tried heavily into mixing SPS or LPS in the same tank. I did have a button and brain coral that didn't survive long, but I am not sure if this is attributed to the soft corals or just simply a lighting and other issues.

Is this a safe environment for clams? namely tridacna sorts? Just wondering if anyone has had any success keeping clams in such system.

Any suggestions are appreciated. There is a pretty healthy clam I have been watching for couple weeks at a LFS and seems a good candidate provided that my tank can accommodate it.

WVUReefer

I had 5 T. clams in LPS &softie tank. Copperbanded destroyed my clams. But my squamosa survived. There was no issue with the chem warfare.. If it worries you that much just run carbon in your filter system.. But you have to get you CA up.. Clams will suck CA out of the water which is good cause that means they're growing!

DaveK

I'd say your system should be generally ok. You might want to upgrade your lighting to 250w MHs. However, you could give a clam or two a try as it is. I'd recommend smaller ones, since they will grow if your doing things right. They cost a lot less, so it's not as big a loss if you fail.

cbrownfish

Clams will be fine with your soft corals IMO/E. With that said, I would work on stabilizing your Alk/dKH and Ca levels before adding animals with a higher care requirement. As stated, the 150W halides may be borderline for clams in this system unless you have them in the upper half of the tank.

MotoReef

Thank you for all your replies.
I shall try a squamosa or something hardy for starters and see how things grow.

The MHQ 150w I have is a dual so it should be at least equivalent to 250w lamp or better, and I will only intend to place clams directly underneath it at about 18" depth. Hoping this will be fine.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
The light is a little low 3 wpg is the minimum I would recommend, I would bump it up to 2x250w as suggested above giving you 4+wpg.

As far as size I would go with clams in the 4-6" range, they tend to be a little temperamental when you get down to 2-3" just my experience with dersa and crocea clams.

I have never had a reef tank with less than 4 wpg so I have no idea how clams would do with 2-3wpg. If you put them directly below the light I think you would be fine.

Just my .02

Eric

morrowss

I have a ton of softies in one of my 75's with 6 clams all well...i just need to trim back the trees that overhang by the clams they dont like being touched too much
16766128684226006215003.jpg