so do I need a controller?

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
I have a 90 gallon reef ready aquarium with 120lbs of live rock an awesome 8” engineer gobby who is the most destructive loveable guy ever. I have a couple lps and a couple softies a hippo tang, salefi n tang, blue damsel false percula clown and a
shimp. Equipment wise I have an aqueon pro flex model 3 sump, tunze doc 9006 skimmer, three fishies posban reactor, rio 700 return pump
nova extreme pro 6x54 t5, my.question is do I really need.a controller and how, much sip I need to spend on one money is tight

DaveK

In my opinion, a controller is a very nice thing to have but it doesn't fall into the category of a "must have" item.

I'd also say that if your lighting or filtration or other area of your reef is not up to where you want it, you'll get a lot more "bang for the buck" by fixing up those areas first. If everything is up to level then consider a controller. First figure out what you you are going to control, and are your going to get good value. For example, if all you want to control is your lighting, you'll do just as well getting a a few digital timers, and save a lot of money.

Depending open the controller, and options, you can end up spending a lot of money. Also, if it's got ORP or pH probes, you'll need to replace them about once a year, so some of the expense is ongoing.

All that being said, many do find that a controller is a fantastic toy to have, and get one even if it's not strictly cost justified.

I personaly dont think you need one. I have a aqua JR and have had trouble with the DC8 , have gone threw 3 of them.Have called and talked to Neptune they were very nice and helpful.But now it is just used as a very expensive PH and TEMP monitor. Thats just my 2 cents.

steved13

PREMIUM
Yes, everyone needs a controller, it is illegal to operate a reef system without a controller, and you'll be the victim of all of the other kids making fun of you and throwing your shoes into the trees. :)

Unfortunately it's pretty hard to justify a controller based on "need". Now on "want", and cool toys, yeah, I gotta have one. A contoller can provide some added security, turn off the heater before your tank gets cooked, turn off a pump so it doesn't burn out, constant monitoring, to let you know if something is off, etc, but still hard to say anyone "needs" one. But then again, you don't really need an aquarium either. If you like gadgets and cool stuff, you'll probably love having a controller on your system.

dmatt88

There's alot of things in life I don't need yet find reasons to own. However personal experiences regarding salinity and water leaks and a stuck ato system made me reevaluate my controller "need" I wanted something to oversee my system when I'm there or not hence the controller.

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Well put. Unless you're operating something VERY expensive or a very elaborate system it would be hard to "accurately" label a controller as a NEED. I do know that after going "Controller" it would be very hard (aka more work and less cool fun) to do it without one.

If you like automation, tinkering, and remote access then a controller might be right for you. If you decide to get one save up and get a good one... don't whimp out on the front because then you'll constantly be upgrading or wishing you did. That's how I got into controllers and I upgraded/replaced 3x before I settled with my current system.

dmatt88

Hey al. I can't find the remote access link. Anything for Google tablets?

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Matt I'm not that far along yet. I hope to work on that this weekend but I also have to "Work" this weekend LOL!

Is the Google Tablet an Android OS? I'm completely out of my element even talking about this LOL

engineer goby

lol well I guess its a want more then a need I think I just really want a new toy. Could I get a decent one for around $300? How do I justify this purchase with my chief financial officer ”wife”.

DaveK

... Could I get a decent one for around $300? How do I justify this purchase with my chief financial officer ”wife”.

It all depends on what you want out of the controller. Unless you determine what you want or need to control first, your tossing your money away. Figure out what the job is first. Then pick a controller that will do that job. Then you can look into price.

As to your second question, you honestly can't justify a controller to you CFO "wife".

sk8rdn

Short answers: no, you don't "need" one, but the upkeep can become a job instead of a hobby.
For $300? Not for one you will end up happy with for a long time ("upgraded 3X....").
Justification? So she doesn't have to listen to you throw yourself on the floor like a 2 year old? It worked for me... Lol.

Sent from Starfleet Command

tommyboynj

You don't need one but they are pretty usefull. You don't have to spend a lot to get your foot in the door. I got mine because as my wife puts it "I worry to freaking much". I love being able to check my parameters while on vacation (or at the office. Lol). I went with the basic reef keeper lite for 120 clams and then added a net module to it later and can continue to expand it as my system grows etc.