Snails in the refugium?

So whats the rule here? I was told to put a few snails in my refugium to help eat all the stuff up that snails eat. So for the past 2 1/2 weeks I've had 4 snails in my refugium and 7 in my display. Do I leave them down there permanately? Do I alternate the snails? Today I looked in the refugium and they seem to not be moving like they should....is there perhaps not enough food in the refugium? Advice?

DaveK

I don't think it makes that much difference. I put all mine in the display tank, because in the sump or refugium they tend to wander into pump intakes and the like.

So I just moved 3 of them to the display....1 was dead....that would explain the slight nitrate level. I also just finished doing a 20% water change an hour ago.

Ok Dave.....so its cool to just let the bacteria and algae do its thing in the regufium? I have a small sand bed there with a live rock and some "spaghetti green plant". Should I be cleaning any green and red algae blooms off the side of the refugium walls or vaccumming them from the refugium sand bed?

jerry26

Ok Dave.....so its cool to just let the bacteria and algae do its thing in the regufium? I have a small sand bed there with a live rock and some "spaghetti green plant". Should I be cleaning any green and red algae blooms off the side of the refugium walls or vaccumming them from the refugium sand bed?

i dont do anything about algae blooms in the fuge. if they bloomed they have a food supply. better to have it eating it up in the fuge then the tank.

DaveK

My preference is to remove the realy bad problem algaes like cyano or green hair, and leave the rest of it alone. However, this is a matter of personal choice.

Keep in mind that in many areas of the hobby you have a lot of latitude as to how you do things. Just because I do something one way does not mean that someone else using a different method is wrong. All too often someone feels that they have to get everything "just right" and end up spending a lot of time, and effort trying to get there.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
i dont do anything about algae blooms in the fuge. if they bloomed they have a food supply. better to have it eating it up in the fuge then the tank.

Of course however you'd want to remove that growth at some point.

jerry26

Well that would only keep nutrients in the water. It would be better to export them.

never really enough to worry about. if its chaeto, ill trim but if its just a little hair algae i just let the critters eat it and do a water changes like normal. cyano i do remove though. its always worked for me and i cant even remember the last time i had an hga problem.

i say do whatever you feel is best for your tank.