Snail ID

jimv

I can't get a good pic of these snails. They are very small, this is zoomed in a lot.

null_zps868d7fcb.jpg

jimv

I moved some coral out of my QT tank. When I dipped them I found these snails. I think they might be a different type. My favia has been loosing tissue. Could these be meat eaters?

IMG_1650_zpsc0bc0bfd.jpg

IMG_1652_zps6bb490af.jpg

Oxylebius

Can't make out your first post photo.

Really hard to see. WRT your second post - the second photo looks kinda like a chiton. The first photo looks like a stomatella snail. Are these the same looking critters?

If it is a chiton they are good algae eaters (good cuc).

Does it look like this, only really small. They have 8 plates on the back.
They come in many colors, don't pay attn to the color right now, just on the overall structure of the critter.
http://eol.org/pages/57754/media

Last edited:

Steve L

It's probably a collonista snail, and where there is one there will soon be many more. They're harmless and will help keep your algae in check. They become a problem when they start getting stuck in your pumps and clogging equipment. If you keep the glass clear of algae they will probably stick to your rock work and sand bed. Check your tank after the lights have been out for a couple hours and if you see a bunch of them then they're collonista snails without a doubt.

jimv

I am not sure if this is the same type of snail but it is bigger and faster then the last ones. Any idea of what it is.
u9u6uvan.jpg

u9uje7em.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aaromano

the latest picture by your pump is a stomatella, good guy keep it. The ones under what looks like a baggie in the picture look like colonista snails. Good grazers but can be prolific.