snail id please...

morrowss

img1024g.jpg

img1023c.jpg

They haven't seem to hurt anything that i can tell but there are alot of them at night

johnmaloney

some type of whelk, but that doesn't really narrow it. Do you have a shot of it closed? tiny? what is the scale?

johnmaloney

maybe one of the dove shells, like a sparse dove shell. Seems like the Anachis spp. would be a good place to look. Dove shells, (weird they call an animal a "shell" isn't it?), are from the Columbellidae family, and aren't thought to be predatory. Maybe start with Anachis sparsa on a google search and see what the close relations are like, the problem is they have variable patters, so the colors won't matter, it will be the ridges and the tooth around the opperculum and those kind of things that separate them.

morrowss

maybe one of the dove shells, like a sparse dove shell. Seems like the Anachis spp. would be a good place to look. Dove shells, (weird they call an animal a "shell" isn't it?), are from the Columbellidae family, and aren't thought to be predatory. Maybe start with Anachis sparsa on a google search and see what the close relations are like, the problem is they have variable patters, so the colors won't matter, it will be the ridges and the tooth around the opperculum and those kind of things that separate them.

thank you...i'll do some looking at dove's....i just saw someone talking about bad snails so it made me wonder if these were bad,because they have multiplied alot