Smoke emitting worm??

alphasierra

Hello all,

Saw this 'worm' floating/swimming in the current when the aquarium lights were off. It then settled on the rock. I took some pictures then it appeared to omit some smoke... like it was dissolving?? Very strange!! I tried to grab it but it slid underneath the rock work. I've had a look at some other posts here but couldn't find any info??

Any idea what it is... whether it's bad? First time we've seen it and the tank has been running for nearly 3 months.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/38832-rsm-adventure.html

DSC03351.jpg

Frankie

RS STAFF
It's a bristle worm. The smoke you saw is either sperm or someone took a bit out of it while it was out in the open.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Certain fish will eat them. It is possible that one of your took a bit out of it causing a wound.

ReefGuy69

I got one in the sand in the very front of the glass. i can see him during the day just chilling there. When the lights go off he takes the sand and pushes it out of his hole and up to the top of the sand bed. It now looks like a big ant hill in one spot right at the front of the glass. I will take a pic tonight of it and post it. Its kind of cool.

Hello all,

Saw this 'worm' floating/swimming in the current when the aquarium lights were off. It then settled on the rock. I took some pictures then it appeared to omit some smoke... like it was dissolving??

It's an epitoke. This is how many polychaetes reproduce. And, yes, it was dissolving.

EPITOKY