Small Clams

NickF

I took a trip out to a lfs that I'd never been to before earlier today and they had some beautiful clams there that were tiny, probably about 2 inches. The clams at my usual lfs are huge by comparison. I'd never really thought about keeping a clam before as I always thought they'd be too big for my C130 but one of those tiny one would look great.
I'm not planning on getting one, certainly not any time soon but I wondered if anyone had any experience with small clams. I've been reading online that they are harder to keep than larger ones and need regular target feeding although I've also been reading conflicting information like this article:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/7/inverts

There seems to be a lot of misinformation around and wondered what everyone's thoughts were. Also, how fast do they grow?

Thanks

DaveK

Good job for reading about them before you buy one.

Here is where you end up. It is possible to keep those small clams. You do need excellent water quality, a well established tank and excellent lighting for them. I would say that a C130 could maintain the water quality with reasonable fish stocking limits. In other words have a lot less fish than the maximum. I'm not so sure about the stock lighting. My preference for a clam would be to upgrade it to LED lighting.

Now here is the bottom line. If you get a clam and it dies on you, your out the cost of the clam. On the other hand, if your successful, a clam will grow and get big. This can happen fairly fast under the best of conditions. In this case, it will outgrow the tank, so you'll need to find a new home for it, or get a larger tank. Of course, this is a very good reason to get a larger tank. (grin)

Pat24601

I've done all sort of research on clams and had advice that is all over the map. Many consider under 3" harder with much higher mortality. Some say that isn't true.

I've had one 6 inch and one 2 inch.

Both appeared to do well for months and then died for no reason I can figure out. I was watching parameters like a hawk at the time.

@Wrangy does great with clams.

I love them, but I'm now cautious because I can't think of anything I'd do now that was different than before.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Theres one thing I desperately say whenever small clams and clams are talked about, NEVER EVER target feed a clam!! It's a great way to piss them off and kill them :( not only does target feeding irritate their internals with the particles but the intense concentration of nutrients can also burn the sensitive internal organs!

Okay now that I have that huge pet peeve of mine off my chest lol. Given the lighting amount in the c-130 you're going to have to look at clams that require less light but they get huge! So you have a problem there. The one clam I could happily recommend to you in terms of size would be a t. crocea as they stay smallish and are absolutely gorgeous! T. maxima and t. squamosa both might get a little big unless you're willing to sacrifice half the tank like I have for my t. maxima :) lol

If you mounted the clam right at the top of the tank and rock work you would probably be fine :) but that being said if you want to go on the sandbed or lower you might want to look into either upping the lights with a new setup or buying yourself a strip or two of leds and mounting them in the hood to add some extra oomph!

I second everything that Dave has already said too :) you have to be mindful of fish choices and water parameters but once a clam is happy and settled they're some of the toughest inhabitants you can keep :) you also need to do a bit of reading on what the pests and diseases are so you know what to look for in a healthy clam! And what to therefore avoid.

Once a clam is happy and settled they can grow fairly quickly too, my maxima doubled in size in under a year but has slowed drastically in growth as she's nearly maximum size :) my little crocea on the other hand is a little slower when it comes to growing but has increased in size by two thirds since the start of the year :)

Any other questions don't be shy to ask! :)

NickF

Cheers for all the info everyone :clink:
I certainly wouldn't think of adding one until I've got my LEDs installed and am happy with the setup but you've definitely given me some food for thought. I especially like Dave's comment about getting a small clam, it outgrowing the tank then "having" to upgrade my tank to house it :biggrin:. I keep thinking about how great the Reefer tanks are and how I'd be able to put everything I've learned into a new setup & I'd have so much more room :)