skimmer thoughts

Shells

I need a new skimmer desparately and was considering this one, with a mag drive supreme 7 700 gph pump what you'll think??? its an AquaC EV-180 Protein Skimmer

skimmer6.jpg

Raf

Not familiar with that model...is it downdraft? If so, they are not the best IME.

I have used both Deltecs and EuroReefs and both are excellent. As with all things, make sure you get one that is one step larger then that which was rated for your tank size.

Shells

AquaC protein skimmers do not use venturis, downdraft tubes, or air pumps; they employ the patented "Spray Induction System."

its rated to 200 gal

lcstorc

In sump I love ASM skimmers.
HOB my Aqua C Remora is doing a great job on my 20g tank.

mps9506

What size tank are you skimming, and what type of space requirements do you have?
I've never used an AquaC skimmer so can't really comment on how well they work, people that have them don't really seem to complain about them though.
I do know how it works, it's similar to someone pinching the end of a garden hose and the water sprays out.
Personally I'm a fan of Euroreef and Lifereef skimmers from my experience with them. I lean towards using Euroreef needlewheel style skimmers now just because they are easy to use and easy to clean. Nice efficient cool running pumps. And everything comes in one package ready to go. No having to go out and buy separate pumps or proper connectors.
Of course price wise I think the ASM, and AquaC brands are easier to swallow.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Hi Shells, they're not a bad skimmer, the foam head tends to go away when anything goes in the tank, pumpwise the mag 7 , 1 plus with this style is they are more life friendly than the needlewheels , here a quote from them about pump size, ps. the mags do run a bit hot and are prone to leaks.

As of our last printing, the Danner Supreme Mag Drive 7 is our favorite pump on the
EV-180 skimmer. Other submersible pumps with a similar flow curve should produce
comparable results to the Mag 7. The Iwaki 30 RLT is our favorite external pump on
the EV-180 skimmer. If you use an external pump, we recommend that you add a gate
valve to the pump’s output. This will help you fine-tune the flow to the skimmer.
Some of our customers report increased performance when running a water pump that
is rated higher than what we recommend. For example, a Mag 9.5 can “overdrive” the
EV-180 and produce even better results. If you choose to use a larger water pump,
please be aware that it is very easy to overdrive the skimmer in such a way that the
performance will actually suffer! The EV-180 is designed to handle a certain amount of
water flow, and it is possible to choke off the spray injector, which will result in a
decrease in performance. If you use a larger water pump, be sure and add a gate
valve to the pump’s output so that you can fine-tune the flow to the skimmer. At
no time should the water level inside the skimmer be any higher than the the top of the
dark gray box.

Shells

Hi Sassquash,

i'm not sure if i want a pump that has a tendency to leak, does the Iwaki
have an in sump version??

also, what do you mean by they are prone to leaks??