Skimmer Recommendations?

Jeremy0322

I am setting up a system in the near future that will be about 70 gallons of water volume total, im looking for recommendations on skimmers that people have had success with in similar sized systems? I am in college so there is a budget constraint here, but I have time to look for good used deals so that helps some

There is a poll going on right now about this. Most people will recomend the skimmer that they use. As you can see from the poll results it is a wide range of skimmers. If we knew a price range it would probably narrow it down some. IMO

Frankie

RS STAFF
I like the SWC skimmers
I don't have one but I like what I have been reading on them and admire the build so +2 on this skimmer.
The octopus is another I like and have setup. Good quality parts and pulls some serious foam.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I've had a few skimmers in my sump - currently using the SWC 120 cone and very happy with the quality and performance, as well as the price of the SWC skimmers.

Jeremy0322

Thats the thing though is at the moment I dont really have a price range. I was just looking for a couple recommendations so if I were to find a good deal on a used one or one for sale I could jump on it. Im also looking for a 36" T5 Light for a 40 gallon breeder, a 30" Mh light for a 20L frag tank, all the powerheads, heaters, return pumps, its gonna be a while before I can get everything together so im just watching the for sale sections for stuff going for super cheap

Garage1217

MSX200 is one of the best bangs for the buck on the market for a tank that size. Cannot think of anything in the $300 range that I could recommend more.

renman303

I have a Deltec AP-851 that I'm letting go for $599. Costs over $1200 new... It was running my 225 gallon but I no longer need it. More than adequate for your setup and room to grow should you decide to.

Jeremy0322

I have a Deltec AP-851 that I'm letting go for $599. Costs over $1200 new... It was running my 225 gallon but I no longer need it. More than adequate for your setup and room to grow should you decide to.

Thats atleast probably 2 times the budget :/ Good luck finding someone though, im sure it wont take long to move it

Alien2100

Jeremy0322
I just replaced my ASM G-1 with a SWC Mini S, I posted the G-1 and my old Pro Clear Aquatics 175 sump on Craigslist for a local sale. But if you were interested I could look at shipping it. It's only the skimmer body though, the Sedra 2500 it came with burnt out a long time ago. I've been running it on a modified Mag 3 for about a year, however I'm using that pump with the old impeller blade to power my UV Sterilizer now. The bodies in good shape, I can post a pic if interested. The only things that really need to be replaced are the venturi and elbow. I had to modify the venturi to work with the Mag 3 and for some reason when I bought it there was not an elbow in the box, I just used a pvc elbow, it's basically the same thing. I did some research in our sponsors list and found Champion Lighting carries the replacement pump, which is now the G500 and it comes with the venturi and tubing for $69.99. I called and they said they would have to check on if it had the elbow or not. I will say I also called ASM's importer and they said they ship the pumps with the elbow too. You just need to make sure you get the older 1/2 output model because the new one is 3/4 output and won't work without a reducer. It was a really good skimmer my bioload just got way to big for it to support. I was asking $50.00 for it, with you buying the new pump it's about half of what the skimmer cost new. I'm just not sure how to do the payment, I've always dealt local whenever I've sold anything.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
In that range you are limited to used if you want a quality skimmer, I would watch ebay and CL often good used skimmers go for less than $200.00

Alien2100

Also maybe SWC's BMK150 would work, it's $200.00. Honestly bellow $200 it can be difficult to find a good skimmer. At least from my experience.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I was just searching ebay for used protein skimmers there are a couple AETech E.T.S.S. skimmers with low bids they are nice skimmers, and there are a few others I watch ebay often and most of the time these skimmer never go over 200.00