Skimmer Recommendation

astiesi

I am currently looking for protein skimmer suggestions for my 65g build. I am looking for a small in sump model which will fit nicely in a 20L sump. I figure my entire system after rock displacement and overflow room in the sump will contain no more than 70 - 75 gallons. I have been researching for a while and I have a few that I've been looking at: the AquaC EV-180, AquaC Urchin Pro, ASM G1X, ASM G2.

Any comments and suggestions on the above models or any other model would be really appreciated. Thanks everybody!

DublD

I have no experience with the EV-180 but have had the Remoras (similar to the urchin) and G2. For the kind of price range those are in, I might also take a look at the the Octopus extreme 160 or 200 as well as the Vertex IN 100 or 180...both of which will give better performance than either the Urchin or the ASM's

For a bit more $, you could also look into an Itech cone or a super reef octopus cone (coming soon). There's a lot of cool, new choices out there now with huge performance gains on old technology.

DrHank

I'm a big Octopus fan. For a 75 gal set-up, I would just go with their basic NWB150. It should more than do the job.

astiesi

Two recommendations for Octopus skimmers, I'll have to take a look at these too. Thanks for posting!

zy112

Sorry I have no experience with the skimmers you listed, but I used a Euroreef on a 65 with great success.

astiesi

Well after spending a while reading reviews and comparing prices I went with DrHank's suggestion of the Reef Octopus NWB150. I found it for a great price and it should be coming in sometime next week.

I do have a question should anyone with this skimmer happen by this thread. I am planning my sump and would like to get started building it this weekend. The dimensions of the skimmer are listed as 12" x 7.5". I am curious how accurate that 12" measurement is. My sump is a 20L which is 12" wide (although it is more like 11 7/8") and I want to know if it will fit width-wise.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I just got an Octopus for my reef - a DNWB 150 which is a recirculator.

If sump space is a concern, the Extreme 160 by Octo is a good choice. The skimmer sits on top of the pump, and has a smaller footprint.

Other alternatives for double the price is the SWC Mini Cone, which also sits on top of the pump. Same pump as the 160 actually - Sicce PSK-2500, and, little known fact, is made at the same factory in China as Reef Octopus.

One nice thing about the Sicce pump is ATB makes a purple pinwheel that works almost as well as a meshwheel with none of the problems of one.

Alternatives would include a EuroReef Nano skimmer. Will have the smallest footprint. they can custom the RSM250 model for you (the 250 is a 65 gallon tank). I have one of these and it is awesome. The meshwheels it uses are a rigid metal alloy as opposed to the flexible plastic all the other meshes are. No problems, dead silent, and some of the best tech you could ask for. Will custom out around $200

Tunze is another good alternative. ASM and AquaC are really falling behind in the skimmer wars. Designs have radically changed in the last couple of years, and they haven't. Kind of sad really

Westerner

I have the ASM G1X on my 60 gal. cube reef tank. Its a great skimmer and skims real nice. you cant beat it for the price to. Mines also bonestock, I did not modify anything. Heres a pic with my 10gallon sump..

IMG_0536.jpg

TylerHaworth

I've got a G1X on my 75, it works well as far as I can tell, and will probably work even better on a smaller tank!

I agree though, it appears the technology in the ASM is falling behind.