Skimmer Question via Video

jgking21

I've had this skimmer for about 2 years now. It has worked great, but recently the foam is not foam, it's very wet and the bubble pop quickly.
I the video helps show you what I dealing with.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Usually when the skimmate is "wet" you should cut back on the air flow supplied.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
My skimmer was running somewhat wet and I took it out to clean and it up, there were 3 snails stuck in the intake. It was acting normally and I had no idea until I took it apart.

DaveK

As pointed out by others, if you have not done so, you should clean the skimmer. Reducing water flow might help, but it may also reduce the amount of bubbles produced.

However, you may not have an issue. A skimmer can only remove what is in the water. It looks like you have an under populated tank, that is at least somewhat established. You also don't seem to have any algae issues. There may not be much material to remove. If you test your nitrate and phosphate levels, and find that they are low, I'd say that your system is normal, and there is no large amount of material to remove. You need not do anything else.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Is there a way to control the water level inside the skimmer ? Is the water level in the sump the recommended level for your skimmer ? When was the last time you took the skimmer apart and cleaned it ? I recently had an issue with mine and when I took it apart I was shocked at the amount of calcium deposits that had built up, so a vinegar bath may be in order.

jgking21

The tank is very clean. I have 2 Clowns, 1 Cleaner Shrimp and 1 Emeral Crab, plus CUC, so my bio-load is very small. I do a 5 Gallon WC probably every 10-14 days. There is a little algea in the tank, but not much and stays under control.
I took the skimmer out and rinsed everything pretty well about 7 days ago. Then the tank sat for a few days without the skimmer. There was a good amount of algea on the glass, so I thought the tank was dirty enough for it to work probably again.
I'll probably give it a good scrubbing this weekend and then see where to go from there.

Did anyone see anything wrong with how load the pump is? Is everyone's like that?

jgking21

Thought I'd post some results that I'm having.

First, I found out that the airline was pinched somewhere close to the pump, which you couldn't see in the video. After opening that up, things improved alot!
Second, I'm now using eggcrate to play with where the skimmer sits at the water level. Raising the skimmer drops the level of where the skimmate sits and allows for a more foamy mix.

It's not 100% the way it was before, but it is much better now.